Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have two AR-15's so it is not like I don't have a small caliber semi-auto blaster but a third one would be nice. I like the Mini-14 but high cap mags are expensive in quantity and good ones can be hard to find.

I like the SKS but can't justify the expense of another caliber right now. Even hand loading is expensive anymore and yes I would reload 7.62x39 mm and have done so in the past.

So to recap - I can't justify the AK/SKS or Mini-14. The Golani goes belly up on me.

Maybe I should take up a new obsession...er hobby. Something like drinking or stamp collecting or maybe drunken stamp collecting.

· Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
highestangel, mine is in the 500 serial range. i looked at 2 when i bought mine, 1 had a deep distinct F stamped in the bottom of the reciever, mine has a tiney F stenciled, need a magnifying glass to see it. i assume it's been "fixed". havent' looked at the pin yet, though. finally quit raining, after 3 days, i'll try to get out and test it a little more real soon.

· Copper Bullet member
982 Posts
highestangel, mine is in the 500 serial range. i looked at 2 when i bought mine, 1 had a deep distinct F stamped in the bottom of the reciever, mine has a tiney F stenciled, need a magnifying glass to see it. i assume it's been "fixed". havent' looked at the pin yet, though. finally quit raining, after 3 days, i'll try to get out and test it a little more real soon.
Falm, I'd suggest you dis-assemble/inspect/clean, and lube really well before you go back to the range. Mine was nasty, gritty, dirty inside, and NO where lubed like it should be. Find you some steel cased ammo also, as these rifles ruin brass.
Michael

· Registered
101 Posts
Now you guys have got me worried!!! :eek:

After going through the hassle with Century over them wanting to swap out my bolt, I guess I'm going to have to take this rifle back out to the range for a bit more testing. This time, a tad bit more agressive, I guess...... :confused:

Chuck

· Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
highest, i did break it down and clean when i got it. wasn't dirty or too gritty, did not dissasemble the bolt, though. i did take the bolt out last nite and pressed the rear on a table to make sure it had the spring. then lighntly lubed. what's the deal on the bayo lugs and the bipod mounts, was it hit or miss, luck of the draw from century? mine has neither. cetracer, i like your bipod and mount.

· Copper Bullet member
982 Posts
Now you guys have got me worried!!! :eek:

After going through the hassle with Century over them wanting to swap out my bolt, I guess I'm going to have to take this rifle back out to the range for a bit more testing. This time, a tad bit more agressive, I guess...... :confused:

Chuck
Chuck, I didn't know Century made an ARM version of the Gallil/Golani? Nice rifle, I see that you've added the ARM gas block/bi-pod, and carry handle. Did you do it yourself? What's the SN range on yours, and is it the springy firing pin "fix"? If you dis-assemble/clean/ inspect, and lube after each range session, you look at the bolt lugs, receiver rails, ejector rail, etc...for any abnormal/unusual signs of wear, or deformation of any parts. I guess I've been lucky with mine, especially after hearing all of the horror stories about soft receivers, etc.
Michael

· Copper Bullet member
982 Posts
highest, i did break it down and clean when i got it. wasn't dirty or too gritty, did not dissasemble the bolt, though. i did take the bolt out last nite and pressed the rear on a table to make sure it had the spring. then lighntly lubed. what's the deal on the bayo lugs and the bipod mounts, was it hit or miss, luck of the draw from century? mine has neither. cetracer, i like your bipod and mount.
Falm, You could get them from Century with, or without the bayo lug, but never from Century with the ARM features Cetracer has on his. They have to be added, and from what I've checked into, are fairly expensive, for my beer budget.
Michael

· Registered
101 Posts
Chuck, I didn't know Century made an ARM version of the Gallil/Golani? Nice rifle, I see that you've added the ARM gas block/bi-pod, and carry handle. Did you do it yourself? What's the SN range on yours, and is it the springy firing pin "fix"? If you dis-assemble/clean/ inspect, and lube after each range session, you look at the bolt lugs, receiver rails, ejector rail, etc...for any abnormal/unusual signs of wear, or deformation of any parts. I guess I've been lucky with mine, especially after hearing all of the horror stories about soft receivers, etc.
Michael

The "Master Craftsman" Ken K. made the conversion for me. I was able to obtain IMI ARM gas block, bi-pod, hand guard & carry handle from ORF and Ken made the changes for me.

Regarding the firing pin issue, I went round & round in circles with Century over that thing. I told them finally that in no uncertain way was I going to ship my rifle back to them, especially so after having had the modifications made, and them NOT providing a guarantee that I would get my rifle back.

I have the original "military" bolt in my rifle and have had zero problems with it, as I clean it just like on my AK's and SKS's. While the rifle was at Ken's shop, he inspected it for me and indicated he saw nothing in the bolt that should cause any heart burn, as Century was going through at the time.

Chuck

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If your frend is on the gun forums a lot, he may have traded for a reason. If that's the case, no much of a friend IMHO.
He has a large farm and is very busy from Spring to Fall so he doesn't spend much time online during those seasons. I was surprised he had time to get to the gun shop and order a rifle in June. He didn't knowingly trade me a faulty rifle and he is going to make good on this over Christmas when I see him again.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
PSL, are you saying the rifle fails to function because the bullet slams the breechface? how often did that happen?
The bullets slamming the breechface and the feeding failures, which I think are caused by the magazine sitting too low in the receiver, are the least of my worries. The bolt carrier is hitting the left side receiver corner and causing it to slightly mushroom at this point, I'm concerned about headspace as well.

· Copper Bullet member
982 Posts
He has a large farm and is very busy from Spring to Fall so he doesn't spend much time online during those seasons. I was surprised he had time to get to the gun shop and order a rifle in June. He didn't knowingly trade me a faulty rifle and he is going to make good on this over Christmas when I see him again.
That truly is a GOOD friend, and they are damn hard to find this day, and time. Your friend should be able to send it back to Century if he was the original purchaser of the rifle. This crap about a year warranty is bull $hit, threaten to sue them, and send pics of the offending parts, if necessary, and mention you have had a qualified gunsmith inspect/docuement the rifles condition. I've had excellent customer service, and results from the lady I spoke with at Century's customer service department, several different times. If your friend doesn't get the results he wants from the CS rep., ask to speak to their CS MANAGER. Your friend should be able to get a refund, or another rifle, either way. Don't give up on your dream to own a Galil/Golani from Century, as there are some NICE ones out there, they all aren't turds, as some people would have you believe. After getting out of the milsurp hobby for 15yrs, my first purchase that got me back into the hobby was one of Century's Cetme rifles, I was sooo stoked about this rifle, until I started reading some of the various boards on the net about the Century Cetme, and I was almost afraid to shoot the rifle! After a complete dis-assembly/cleaning/inspection, and lubing I got enough courage to shoot the damn thing, and was very impressed with it, and still have it to this day. I would not take any amount of money for my Cetme, granted I've tweaked on it quite a bit, but it remains one of the crown jewels in my meager milsurp collection to this day. My point is, that you can buy a lemon, no matter who the mfg. is, even HK. $hit happens! Best wishes.
Michael

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
bub, you gonna get one?
Probably not-at least not for a while. I don't have the money to buy one which is why I was doing this trade. I talked to my friend last night and told him what folks here have said about returning it to Century but I don't know what he plans on doing with it. I think for now I will concentrate my efforts on the PSL. Shooting at 200 yards has shown me that I need a scope with more magnification.
I think that will be my focus for now. Thanks for all the advice and for letting me whine about my disappointment.

· Copper Bullet member
982 Posts
Probably not-at least not for a while. I don't have the money to buy one which is why I was doing this trade. I talked to my friend last night and told him what folks here have said about returning it to Century but I don't know what he plans on doing with it. I think for now I will concentrate my efforts on the PSL. Shooting at 200 yards has shown me that I need a scope with more magnification.
I think that will be my focus for now. Thanks for all the advice and for letting me whine about my disappointment.
Hey, maybe you can still work the trade after he gets it back from Century. We all whine on occasion, some just won't admit it!
Michael

· Registered
490 Posts
I would love to have a Golani as I think they are mean looking SOB's too, but my heart is set on a AK-47. Once I have that I think I will just focus on ammo and magazines. You can never have anough ammo and mag's for the coming zombie invasion. ;)

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I would love to have a Golani as I think they are mean looking SOB's too, but my heart is set on a AK-47. Once I have that I think I will just focus on ammo and magazines. You can never have anough ammo and mag's for the coming zombie invasion. ;)
Amen brother! If we face these new faster moving zombies then we'll need all the mags and ammo we can lay our hands on. If it's the older stumbling models we can take our time shooting them and conserve our ammo.

The non gun people I know think I have a screw loose for even thinking like this.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.