Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that I do a fair amount of gun trading with who offered me a Century Golani. He's been trying to get me into an AK for a while now but I simply don't want the added expense of a new caliber/magazines etc.

When he offered me the Golani I was excited. It looks bad a$$ sexy in a very functional kind of way. I already have ammo and reloading components in .223 so magazines were the only thing I needed to buy.

We made a tentative trade and I brought the Golani home and proceeded to run some ammo through it-he had only put a couple of rounds through it because of illness and his work schedule.

Fifty rounds later the Century curse reared it's ugly head. This is a low serial numbered rifle with all the problems associated with them. The carrier beats up the receiver and the bullet noses hit the breechface.

I loved shooting this rifle so much but now I'm afraid to. It will go back home to my friend so he can try to work something out with it. I feel so very disappointed, I finally found an AK variant that made my heart beat fast and it turns out to be poorly made. Oh well, at least I'll always have the PSL.

Thanks for letting me cry, complain, and get that off my chest.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what serial number range is known for problems? i just got one, seems like a low number. just fired a few rounds so far, no problems. #005XX.
I'm not sure what range is known to have problems, this one is #015xxx. Keep a close eye on it after you shoot it some more. My problems were showing up after only fifty rounds, hopefully yours will be trouble free.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered one of these and a Tantal to be sent to my dealer, both backordered but expected in about a month......I would hope that all problems have been resolved by now........
I hope you don't have any problems with your Golani they really are a fun gun. It's a shame so many are poorly made.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have two AR-15's so it is not like I don't have a small caliber semi-auto blaster but a third one would be nice. I like the Mini-14 but high cap mags are expensive in quantity and good ones can be hard to find.

I like the SKS but can't justify the expense of another caliber right now. Even hand loading is expensive anymore and yes I would reload 7.62x39 mm and have done so in the past.

So to recap - I can't justify the AK/SKS or Mini-14. The Golani goes belly up on me.

Maybe I should take up a new obsession...er hobby. Something like drinking or stamp collecting or maybe drunken stamp collecting.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If your frend is on the gun forums a lot, he may have traded for a reason. If that's the case, no much of a friend IMHO.
He has a large farm and is very busy from Spring to Fall so he doesn't spend much time online during those seasons. I was surprised he had time to get to the gun shop and order a rifle in June. He didn't knowingly trade me a faulty rifle and he is going to make good on this over Christmas when I see him again.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
PSL, are you saying the rifle fails to function because the bullet slams the breechface? how often did that happen?
The bullets slamming the breechface and the feeding failures, which I think are caused by the magazine sitting too low in the receiver, are the least of my worries. The bolt carrier is hitting the left side receiver corner and causing it to slightly mushroom at this point, I'm concerned about headspace as well.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
bub, you gonna get one?
Probably not-at least not for a while. I don't have the money to buy one which is why I was doing this trade. I talked to my friend last night and told him what folks here have said about returning it to Century but I don't know what he plans on doing with it. I think for now I will concentrate my efforts on the PSL. Shooting at 200 yards has shown me that I need a scope with more magnification.
I think that will be my focus for now. Thanks for all the advice and for letting me whine about my disappointment.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I would love to have a Golani as I think they are mean looking SOB's too, but my heart is set on a AK-47. Once I have that I think I will just focus on ammo and magazines. You can never have anough ammo and mag's for the coming zombie invasion. ;)
Amen brother! If we face these new faster moving zombies then we'll need all the mags and ammo we can lay our hands on. If it's the older stumbling models we can take our time shooting them and conserve our ammo.

The non gun people I know think I have a screw loose for even thinking like this.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That truly is a GOOD friend, and they are damn hard to find this day, and time. Your friend should be able to send it back to Century if he was the original purchaser of the rifle. This crap about a year warranty is bull $hit, threaten to sue them, and send pics of the offending parts, if necessary, and mention you have had a qualified gunsmith inspect/docuement the rifles condition. I've had excellent customer service, and results from the lady I spoke with at Century's customer service department, several different times. If your friend doesn't get the results he wants from the CS rep., ask to speak to their CS MANAGER. Your friend should be able to get a refund, or another rifle, either way. Don't give up on your dream to own a Galil/Golani from Century, as there are some NICE ones out there, they all aren't turds, as some people would have you believe. After getting out of the milsurp hobby for 15yrs, my first purchase that got me back into the hobby was one of Century's Cetme rifles, I was sooo stoked about this rifle, until I started reading some of the various boards on the net about the Century Cetme, and I was almost afraid to shoot the rifle! After a complete dis-assembly/cleaning/inspection, and lubing I got enough courage to shoot the damn thing, and was very impressed with it, and still have it to this day. I would not take any amount of money for my Cetme, granted I've tweaked on it quite a bit, but it remains one of the crown jewels in my meager milsurp collection to this day. My point is, that you can buy a lemon, no matter who the mfg. is, even HK. $hit happens! Best wishes.
Michael
He really is a good friend and it is something I don't take lightly or for granted. I bought a '95 Spanish Mauser from him once that had excessive headspace. He replaced it with a similar rifle and let me keep the scope and nicer stock from the first rifle. We've been trading back and forth for a long time and he's always done me right, of course I do the same for him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.