Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that I do a fair amount of gun trading with who offered me a Century Golani. He's been trying to get me into an AK for a while now but I simply don't want the added expense of a new caliber/magazines etc.

When he offered me the Golani I was excited. It looks bad a$$ sexy in a very functional kind of way. I already have ammo and reloading components in .223 so magazines were the only thing I needed to buy.

We made a tentative trade and I brought the Golani home and proceeded to run some ammo through it-he had only put a couple of rounds through it because of illness and his work schedule.

Fifty rounds later the Century curse reared it's ugly head. This is a low serial numbered rifle with all the problems associated with them. The carrier beats up the receiver and the bullet noses hit the breechface.

I loved shooting this rifle so much but now I'm afraid to. It will go back home to my friend so he can try to work something out with it. I feel so very disappointed, I finally found an AK variant that made my heart beat fast and it turns out to be poorly made. Oh well, at least I'll always have the PSL.

Thanks for letting me cry, complain, and get that off my chest.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
I have a friend that I do a fair amount of gun trading with who offered me a Century Golani. He's been trying to get me into an AK for a while now but I simply don't want the added expense of a new caliber/magazines etc.

When he offered me the Golani I was excited. It looks bad a$$ sexy in a very functional kind of way. I already have ammo and reloading components in .223 so magazines were the only thing I needed to buy.

We made a tentative trade and I brought the Golani home and proceeded to run some ammo through it-he had only put a couple of rounds through it because of illness and his work schedule.

Fifty rounds later the Century curse reared it's ugly head. This is a low serial numbered rifle with all the problems associated with them. The carrier beats up the receiver and the bullet noses hit the breechface.

I loved shooting this rifle so much but now I'm afraid to. It will go back home to my friend so he can try to work something out with it. I feel so very disappointed, I finally found an AK variant that made my heart beat fast and it turns out to be poorly made. Oh well, at least I'll always have the PSL.

Thanks for letting me cry, complain, and get that off my chest.
Why not ship it back and get it fixed?

·
Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
what serial number range is known for problems? i just got one, seems like a low number. just fired a few rounds so far, no problems. #005XX.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,689 Posts
what serial number range is known for problems? i just got one, seems like a low number. just fired a few rounds so far, no problems. #005XX.
I just ordered one of these and a Tantal to be sent to my dealer, both backordered but expected in about a month......I would hope that all problems have been resolved by now........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure what range is known to have problems, this one is #015xxx. Keep a close eye on it after you shoot it some more. My problems were showing up after only fifty rounds, hopefully yours will be trouble free.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
got so many other 223's i probably won't shoot the galil enough to find out if it is problamatic. started to leave it unfired, but i shot it about 15 times. i'm an AR kinda dude.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered one of these and a Tantal to be sent to my dealer, both backordered but expected in about a month......I would hope that all problems have been resolved by now........
I hope you don't have any problems with your Golani they really are a fun gun. It's a shame so many are poorly made.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I sold my factory Galil a while back (and my Valmet 76) and missed having a reliable blaster .223. I built up a Ruger Mini. Not as sexy as either of the other two but quality parts are available and they work with about the same accuracy for WAY less. If your buying a Galil try to stick with IMI receivers or factory guns. Good luck on spare parts!

·
Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
galil blues

here's my golani blues..... well, at least it's on a blue beach towel. i like the weight and feel, feels better than most AK's, shooting, it seems a lot smoother and quiet. also, what sling is correct for these, i just threw on an AK/SKS one.

G

·
Same problems with all Ohio rapid fire receivers .i dont know who does their heat treating or where they are getting blue prints for their receivers .The m76 receivers have problems the m70 yugo receivers are out of spec and off in many places when compaired to the real stubs .I could not build a working gun on mine and it sits on my shelf as an expensive peice of scrap and a testimony of me not listening to what others had to say . M64 receiver is way off from the original as well And their Israeli receiver has problems . Some of all their receivers have obvious heat treating problems . They claimed to have fixed everything on their M70 receiver and mine was one of the corrected ones . They remachined the mag well so a mag would actualy fit ! because mine would not accpt mags .they ignored all the other problems . google it and youl see the other folks problems with their receivers . Of course not all of their receivers ,but no company should produce and sell any lemmons ,should they ? Firing line have theirs right ,so it is possible to make an excellent milled receiver thats reliable . ORF just cant get a quality control standard .

·
Registered
266 Posts
Same problems with all Ohio rapid fire receivers .i dont know who does their heat treating or where they are getting blue prints for their receivers .The m76 receivers have problems the m70 yugo receivers are out of spec and off in many places when compaired to the real stubs .I could not build a working gun on mine and it sits on my shelf as an expensive peice of scrap and a testimony of me not listening to what others had to say . M64 receiver is way off from the original as well And their Israeli receiver has problems . Some of all their receivers have obvious heat treating problems . They claimed to have fixed everything on their M70 receiver and mine was one of the corrected ones . They remachined the mag well so a mag would actualy fit ! because mine would not accpt mags .they ignored all the other problems . google it and youl see the other folks problems with their receivers . Of course not all of their receivers ,but no company should produce and sell any lemmons ,should they ? Firing line have theirs right ,so it is possible to make an excellent milled receiver thats reliable . ORF just cant get a quality control standard .

Ditto the really poor ORF Galil receivers. I built a ARM Galil on an IMI receiver. Zero problems for fit and function. Headspace never moved from when it was set and the barrel torqued. I had a defective Galil built on a ORF receiver that I had the chance to take a look at. The headspace was .016 OVER field. Only one bolt lug making contact. The worse part was the mating receiver lugs were mushroomed from setback. The ejector was really cobbled up and was also deforming (soft). I told the person that IF you can get your money back just do it. The geometry was wrong. The finish was very good and it looked good. Mags fit perfect. Every case fired split all the way to the shoulder and was unsafe to fire. It was a nice idea building Galils but it's really hit and miss on quality.

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,626 Posts
try different ammo

I have a galil and a Century colani which is a pretty close copy. Niether of the two will digest the 75 grain or the 60 or the 65. both rifles will however gobble up the 55 grain like its breakfast. the 75 grain is just a little too long and it will not chamber or eject. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.