Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I got, just hand rubbed about 8 coats of a mix of 50/50 BLO & Poly then let it dry. Got that stock set from APEX & it needed to be matched quite a bit, still it is 3 different types of madera. Those are the plum mags I removed the black paint from. Tell me what you guys think. The rifle is very accurate for what it is & has been 100% so far.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
looks o.k., but i'd get that butstock a little darker. how long did it take for the blo and poly to dry?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The buttstock won't get darker without stain & I didn't wanna stain it. The Bulgarians issued all their AK74s with Walnut lower hgs, laminate uppers & beech buttstocks. I have seen new numbers matching kits like that. About a day dry time, the wood was good quality so it came out good as far as smoothness & all that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
looks good matching or not, I dont have a single ak that ever came with wood matching perfectly.

actually I take that back, my sar-2 came with the poop brown colored stock and it all matched :)

Good job on the refinish, did you sand the finish between coats?

Stinkyrat

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
I have several with beech stocks all around. Some with laminate all around and some balck phenolic .

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen the synthetic ones but every one with wood furniture I have seen was mixed. I wonder if they were mixed in a certain time frame or somethin? Or just used whatever they had at hand? Its actually better matched in the bright sunlight which is how I measure color match & I have a swivel & AIMS sling I havent installed yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts