Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks on the positive comments. If Scott didn't have such good prices, I couldn't have afforded to do it.

It looks like he used Savage wood on it because I can not find any markings... Is this a correct assumption.

...and, it has the (later added) wood screw through the wood. I remember from the old forums that you guys said this was to strengthen something or other... What is the story again?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,635 Posts
Savage wood should have 'square' S markings. The reinforcing screw is Indian in origin.

Sounds like ex-Indian wood, a nice job; but not a 'restoration', IMHO.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wood is a temporary thing and can be upgraded. It is a nice rifle, hauled back a bit farther from the edge of destruction,at least. The first No 4 I bought was a Savage with an early 6 groove barrel in 1984. They had a barrel full of #4's for $44 each: and Priviti ammo for $3/box if you bought a rifle. It's a great shooter.~Andy

·
Silver Bullet Member
828 Posts
Thanks for posting pics of the before and after. I have an enfield sniper that has the charger bridge ground off as well. I was thinking of using Scott but wasn't sure how well it would turn out. After seeing his work, I am going to have to find a way to get some money together and get him to fix mine. That is some awesome work!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,635 Posts
Do you mind sharing the cost of the restoration?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Do you mind sharing the cost of the restoration?[\i]

I don't want to put Scott in a "but you did AMCer's for XXX dollars" situation. He told me it took alot more work than he expected and charged me for so let me just say that it was:

1) VERY reasonable
2) The amount he charged me PLUS the $100 cost of the gun still was less than the typical Enfield cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts