Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess I was lucky to score one that wasn't a gunsmith special with shipping it cost me $267.50 none of the numbers match but it will make for a great shooter. The stock was in great shape with a few of the usual dings and dents. I had some pitting on the sides of the receiver but nothing to serious and it was below the wood. No cleaning rod or sight hood no surprise. The bore wasn't as bad as I thought strong rifling the muzzle didn't appear to be shot out much at all. Stock was greasy but it's to nice to sand down or refinish so I got to find a safe way to de-grease the stock with out hurting the finish. Right now she is taken apart getting de-greased and cleaned. I hope the darn snow melts soon. Should be a great range gun. If you got yours yet let me know. I hope to try and post pics asap.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I tried Murphys on a an old junk stock once. Turned one side of the stock grey that was previously very dark brown. Or maybe it just stripped all the oils away to reveal the grey? But even with application of BLO it never lost the grey.

In the winter I have had luck with just a hair dryer or heat gun and a couple of rags.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I turn the oven on about 300 and open the door enough to fit the buttplate to the back of the rack. Put a pot holder between the stock and door. It doesn't take much. In summer I put it in the car in direct sunlight running with heater on.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The joy of having a seasonal job. Got the stock in the oven now. I got it in a nice bed of tin foil I got the oven at 200 to start with for an hour. I tried the hair dryer at first and it works some what but would take to long to get the job done 100% I might just do a hour or two in the oven and then finish up with the hair dryer.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lowest I can go is 180 the stock isn't laminate and the oven door is open. I'm checking on it every hour or so and wiping away the cosmoline and the finish is still there and looks great.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I use it on 300 because the heat is just flying out the door cavity. I also don't let it set very long or the cosmo will cook in the wood. 5 minutes, wipe change ends, repeat. Never wrapped it in foil either. You want to leach it out rather than cook it out all at once.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I use it on 300 because the heat is just flying out the door cavity. I also don't let it set very long or the cosmo will cook in the wood. 5 minutes, wipe change ends, repeat. Never wrapped it in foil either. You want to leach it out rather than cook it out all at once.
I like this "Twice Baked Mauser" recipe! MMMM......the kitchen smells like surplus rifle!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.