Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to another surplus dealer I know who had two K31's still in sealed boxes. I opened them both. The first box had another beech stocked one in it, but the second box had this 1945 walnut one in it. Luckily that ding in the stock missed most of the cartouche. There were more dings in it from the wholesaler (I could tell they were new) than from this rifle's service life! But it has pretty wood.

Here is the tag.

·
Gold Bullet member
757 Posts
Ah!, the Swiss flu has claimed another victim...Nice K.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Swissrifles! You know, I cleaned the sling with saddle soap, and I was thinking about what to use to clean the stock, when a bright idea came to me--Why not use the saddle soap? So I put it on pretty thick, like a wax, and it worked pretty good! Even gave the stock a sheen.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Denny, I was thinking about using some mink oil, but I read differing opinions about it, some said it's not really necessary, just the saddle soap is good enough.

AC

·
Diamond Member
7,174 Posts
AC, there are so many different views/testimonials on mink oil, Pecards, etc. It can be difficult to decide. The truth will come out many years down the road. Congratulations on another beauty. Denny

·
Gold Bullet member
4,804 Posts
Nice acquisition, even a little tiger striping !

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! The stock is dated 1940, although the serial number makes it a 1945. I heard some years had more tiger striped stocks.

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
AC--- only one cure for this Swiss-itis, buy one a month and get a second job. May I add very nice looking rifles also. They make range time very enjoyable. Not bad in my opinion for an older fart with aging eyes at 100 yds.(yes I know they can be grouped a little tighter but)LOL.

Regards
Art

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Great catch

BTW, is there any place in West Texas to shoot the K31 you could recommend? I plan to be in the San Angelo/Eldorado area in the near future.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There's a Devil's Mountain Rifle Range about 5 miles south of San Angelo, between Eldorado and San Angelo on Hwy 277; haven't ever shot there, I am not that close to San Angelo, but it would probably be your best bet!

AC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts