Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's in pretty good shape compared to other dug up bayonets. The button even works and it will mount to a rifle once I scrape the gunk out of the socket. Has a visible proof mark. Notice the rough machining. Very cool piece

Attachments

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,098 Posts
Congrats -now there are at least three members here with them. I treasure mine. They are are a true relic of one of the saddest events in modern history and carry the story of the Hero City Leningrad, now called St. Petersburg.
Go read "Red Sniper on the Eastern Front" telling of the Red Army's defense, "At the Gates of Leningrad" by a German forward artillery observer who was shot at by those Red snipers and finally the tragic "900 Days" account of the civilian horrors and military efforts inside the besieged city. (You can generally find these books on eBay.)
As I mentioned in an earlier post, the "blokadnik" bayonet is immortalized on the Soviet "For the Defense of Leningrad" medal. Here's the certificate and medal. my leningrad defense medal 1.jpg My Leningrad Defense  Medal.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_"For_the_Defence_of_Leningrad"
After I got my blokadnik I started reading and the sorrow and courage that goes with that bayonet is hard to imagine. For many years afterwards, and perhaps even now, couples getting married would ride after the ceremony to the site of the city's mass graves and quietly lay a wreath or flowers from the wedding on the grave of the hundreds of thousands who died, just as a way of saying "thank you, we remember you."
Sad stories in that bayonet, but also a great victory -the bayonets seem to be dug up in Latvia on the path of the German retreat, perhaps discarded by pursuing Leningrad defenders when new rifles and more official new bayonets were issued to them as the city was relieved and the Germans fell back in disarray. The massive collapse of the siege and rapid retreat of the Germans is well documented first-hand by the German author of "At the Gates of Leningrad."
It is fairly difficult to perfectly weld two different pieces of tempered steel strong enough to stand up to bayonet stress -the blokadniks are gas welded, an old style of welding, probably by the master welders of the Leningrad shipyards and tank factory, made from SVT bayonets and sometimes captured German Mauser blades. Apparently there was a huge stock of SVT bayonets and not enough SVTs and a stock of Mosins without bayonets so they cut down and welded the SVT blades to fit Mosins. The blokadniks were not made from broken bayonets as is sometimes reported. The welding can be used to distinguish a real one -nobody now making fakes can do perfect old-school gas welding -fakes are electric welded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts