Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
went to the gun store today with the intent of buying ammo and walked out with SCW 1936 Izhvesk 91/30. i did alot of head scratching before i bought it though because it has some odd features. first off it has a blued bolt, then comes the wartime stock in deep red shellack (normal refurb application lots of runs and uneven sanding) the stock has a numbers matching buttplate that does not apperar to have been scrubbed and matched the serial on the barrel in font. the blued bolt is a missmatch with an early style cocking piece and late style bolt body with a clear polish (11) as well as a arrow in a triangle. it is not import marked anywhere. it is blued very nicely everywhere but not to sutch consistancy or quality to make me think of bubba. anyway it was too odd to leave behind. that said i hope i did well as the other mosin at the store was a 1940 Tula in a low wall reciver with very nice rifleing.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
2,930 Posts
Looks neat, but I'd have to say probably a parts gun. Probably a sporterized SCW rifle that got a new refurb stock. I imagine if it is reblued, they probably did the bolt as well. Looks nice and should make a good shooter.

The bolt is a standard Izhevsk, not Polish. The circle 11 mark is really a circle P proof with the top rubbed off.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
...I am gonna hafta agree with Homer2 on this one...looks like it was ONCE an SCW...but, has clearly been in someone else's hands here in the U.S. at some point to have ended up with a refurb'd stock like that...the blued parts also lean towards some form of U.S. stateside mix-mastering...parts gun?...who cares?, go out and shoot it!!...because, as said above, the collector value is most likely affected by it's non-originality...but, don't let ANY of that affect it's future in YOUR hands...shoot, shoot, shoot!!!...

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Certainly Spanish Civil War. A good save in any case. The main issues have already been pointed out, but reiterate them with my opinions.

-I'd say the rifle has been reblued at some point since it came stateside. It makes sense since many SCW rifles arrived in less than 100% condition (to say the least, haha!). The blueing is just too deep and the blued bolt would also confirm this.

-I'm guessing this was a sporterized rifle that someone decided to try and restore. The wartime stock is the evidence of this. Alot of these rilfes simply had the forend of the stock chopped off, making an easy restore. The matching buttplate would seem to confirm this too. No doubt it came right off the original sporterized stock when the previous owner bought the refurb stock. Whoever previously owned it probably didn't know it's SCW history and jsut placed it in the wartime stock you found.

Due to the reblue it really won't have much collector value as a SCW rifle. If you wanted it to look a bit more correct perhaps you could at least remove the blueing from the bolt and place it in a prewar stock with a handguard with brass endcaps on it. The reblue will make it so no one is really fooled by it.

While I can't read the last digit of the serial number, it does fall near a small block of reported SCW rifles sometime before the major block of rifles sent to Spain. Interesting. Thanks for sharing and saving this rifle from further bubbafication!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats a bit of a bummer, still i paid refurb price for it, its still a SCW rifle even though its been reblued, it has a really nice trigger, and it is really pretty. so i guess i came out ok on the deal

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
I agree with all the previous posts but still a nice piece--enjoy!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,930 Posts
If there was that rifle, and an ordinary refurb, I'd grab that one in a heartbeat. Loads better than a regular refurb IMHO, even though it's not very collectible. You may find a non-refurb prewar stock for it someday which would look better.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Homer2,is right! Time to start producing empty casings and holes in paper!
I also agree. Any SCW rifle is much better than a common refurb, even if sporterized. They are far more uncommon. I'd be happy with your purchase, especially at a refurb price. As I said, try to find a complete prewar stock with a brass tipped handguard to make it look correct. You did just fine!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i went to "the definitive guide to the SCW mosin nagant" site and someone already entered my serial into the database. the the next lowest 1936 izhevsk serial entered is only 1050 away

on that note does anyone know how many mosin rifles actually wound up in spain?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
i went to "the definitive guide to the SCW mosin nagant" site and someone already entered my serial into the database. the the next lowest 1936 izhevsk serial entered is only 1050 away

on that note does anyone know how many mosin rifles actually wound up in spain?
...hmmmm...so, if your SN is already entered into Dan's website, does that mean that your firearm once belonged to someone whom Dan already recorded the info from?...hmmmmmm...interesting, indeed!!!...

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder. I list on the site doesn't include serial numbers I've stumbled upon on Gunbroker or while searching online, so I'm not sure how it ended up on there. I almost added it to my Tula section, which is why I said it was near a small group of rifles in that block. Now in the correct spot it winds up right in the huge 1936 Izhevsk block of rifles. Nice.

As for numbers of rifles sent to Spain, I'm not 100% sure if I've seen on figure for it. I added up the rifles listed in the appendex of "Arms for Spain" and got the following results:

-71950 M91/30's
-176580 total Mosin Nagant rifles (M91/30's, M91's, Dragoons, ect)

I'll reread the chapter on Soviet arms shipments sometime and see if there isn't a number mentioned in the text.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.