Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Japanese type 99 sniper today at a small gunsmiths. It came from a local estate.

The good? Stock is very nice. Bore is excellent, shines like a new penny. Has the mount still on the side of the rifle. Big nice mum with three small bayonet strikes on it.

The bad: No scope or rings. Rifle was mounted on the wall near or over a fireplace for years. So it has a "small" rust problem.

The ugly: Well, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.....

Anyone got any ideas on how to best remove the rust? I have used penetrating oil and a green pad before to remove rust with good effect, but not sure about this one.

Suggestions gladly taken!

Also posted on the Japanese rifle forum.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
as rusted and pitted as that is, i would probably have it bead blasted and reblued to help protect against further rust. once you get all the rust off, there wouldn't be any finish left anyway so you might as well blast it and refinish it.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Got a new project today...

The Mum's still in place...:cool:...Maybe you should look into "reverse electrolyasis"???:)

·
Administrator
19,254 Posts
oohh thats an understatement...good luck.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Anyone got any ideas on how to best remove the rust? I have used penetrating oil and a green pad before to remove rust with good effect, but not sure about this one.
NO Bead Blasting! Forget the green pad. Forget electrolysis....all are too harsh. Use 0000 Bronze wool (like steel wool but of bronze....you can use 0000 steel wool as well) and oil will do wonders. Picture attached is of a similar project Japanese rifle done this way. Take your time, and you may just be surprised at the results.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I fully agree. Forget bead blasting, electrolysis, or any chemical cleaning. These methods are quite destructive. Oil, wool and brush. Dremel is also heplful. Good luck with you project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts