Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Outside of the Mosin Nagant bug that has haunted me for 25 years, I do have some outside collecting interests that occasionally draw me into the pit of diversity. One of those-OK there are many but outside of the French, and Czech and Russian self loading stuff and Japanese stuff and Brit stuff...OK I'm off track already. I do have a passion for the David and Goliath type stuff and thats how I started way back when on Finn when I was just a punk and wet behind the ears and in the seat of my pants. I have always had an interest in Israeli stuff. So I had the chance after looking for a long time to add a jewel to the crown of the Israeli collection. One of the rifles that I was missing was actually a rather important one. After the war the Israeli's bought everything they could get their hands on from the fire sales in Europe. With the declaration in 1948 the Israeli's were armed mostly with British and German stuff of all things. 303 Enfield's and 8mm Mauser's serving side by side with Bren guns and MG34's and 42's-not exactly an ammo supply heaven. As things progressed a program was undertaken to standardize the caliber of the IDF to something workable. 7.62x51 was the choice and allot those Mauser's started to get new barrels in .308. The 1919's and other MG's too. When the time came to discard the G-43's, the MAS 49's all of the other motly assorted self loading stuff they had issued in pieces to make one caliber standard the decision was made to go to an outside source and the leader in small arms during the 50's-especially with the new darling of the selective fire rifle community-FN in Belgium. Already having dealt with FN in the past to build rifles in bolt action for them and barrels, the IDF decided to purchase the premier rifle of the day-the FAL. With some design tweaks and choices the new self loading rifle to be issued to the IDF soldier was going to be the FAL and the FALO as a squad automatic. I have had the FAL-HB or "Heavy Barrel" for years but the "LB" has eluded me in decent shape. The guns first appeared in the 1980's from Armscorp who built them on Israeli parts and marketed them here out of their Maryland offices. They also marketed the FAL-HB. But soon after the company was found to have serious ties to the S. African arms cartel and the apartheid stench attached to it. The company was shut down and barred from further import. I had waited too long and missed my chance. Besides the rifles were not exactly cheap in those days. Some influx of LB parts still showed up over the next 5-10 years but often in poor shape. So I have always kept my feelers out for a really nice "LB" to fill in that void. Today I found it. This beauty is a typical "LB" and is built on a DSA receiver that is correct for the parts set. Condition is Exc. So I present to you a picture of my new baby with its Israeli FAL sling and a montage of some of my other Israeli marked/issued rifles dating from 1948 to basically today. Perhaps I can talk the IDF into selling us some M16A1's A2's and A4's that they are using and produce under contract currently or some of the new Tavor rifles?

View attachment 9214
The first picture is the LB I've been after.

View attachment 9215
The second picture montage is a spread of some of the rifles used. The top is a .22 caliber trainer made by FN for the IDF, then a Czech K98 reissued in 308, a British 1936 Mk111 reissued to the IDF (funny thing is it was then lost to the Egyptians and so marked-) Then the LB, HB and finally the Galil rifles which replaced the FAL's along with the famous IMI Uzi with its fixed wooden stock instead of the folder. (It has a short display barrel-plugged)

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's a purdy boy Kenny-

·
Diamond Member
5,776 Posts
Vic, Congratulations on your find. Great looking FAL and IDF collection. My IDF collection consists of a lone K98(d.o.u.45).....so very sad. Denny

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Vic, Congratulations on a great find I know you are a very happy man.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Very cool. I have a soft spot for Israeli arms as well, but haven't started actively seeking them out- yet. A buddy picked up a neat Israeli K98 recently that had been drilled and tapped, but for fifty bucks he wasn't complaining. Great shooter, too.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Very cool. Israeli arms are under appreciated in the collecting market. Nice find!

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
That is a good lookin rifle. I've been looking for a unique FAL myself.

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
Vic what a focus on collecting you have my friend. Congrats on staying the course. Nothing gets you off track. Cool beans.... My bad... What's Up....

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a straight line like bloodhound!

I killed the market 10 years ago so I might as well branch out-

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I should get some kind of finders' fee! Looks good on the screen, I'll have to see it in person.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep-beers on me. Its a beauty.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
ahhhhhh, I see my finders fee has showed up........Thanks boss!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Vic's buying beer for Board members :eek:!

Gotta find his address and do a road trip. ;) (He'll probably serve Natty Light in 1/2 kegs :mad:.)
\

Aint No Way Vic is buying any BEER!!!:eek:
He wont even buy you a soda when you buy a $400 gun from him at a show;):mad:

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are so lying! I buy you guys coffee ands pop all the time! :(:confused:

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
You are so lying! I buy you guys coffee ands pop all the time! :(:confused:

He's invited me for dinner. I don't know what you guys did to piss him off that he won't even buy you guys pop! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts