Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to a local show and came home with a Carcano 91/41 (4ut) marked barrel shank. No import or made in Italy stamps. Just about as nice as you'd ever hope to find. Pictures now up. The stock appears to be unfinished beech. I can't make out the cartouche' It looks as though it was struck light. These just don't appear very common. It's also RE marked. Anybody have any more info on these?

· Registered
194 Posts
Very good one, yes! Congratulations.

The stock cartouche is probably a stylized "AG".

I would suggest to rub the stock 2-3 times with a liberal dose of lemon oil, it will replace the natural oils without changing its original color. Then take it to the range and have fun!

1,154 Posts
Nice rifle!

I never thought about looking for the 4ut marking on my 41's. Is this an uncommon practice and would it be just the 41's that have been found with it?

· Registered
8,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Mark
My other 4ut rifle is a 91 cavalry carbine, that is stamped in the wood (stock) not the metal. the long rifle above was caked with dried grease and the stamp was barely visibile.

1,154 Posts
Ed

Thanks for the info. I'll have to start looking at my later war rifle's closer!

· Registered
169 Posts
I had one exactly like that, looked unissued. The original user might have thrown it away due to the extremely stiff bolt! Is is normal for Carcanos to have really stiffly operating bolts? This one was so stiff it could get a soldier killed.

· Registered
8,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found that when the bolt is stiff (this one was) The rear trigger guard screw is a bit to long and it contacts the sear step on the firing pin retainer when the bolt is cycled. I took it out and filed the screw down some and it is now fixed and nice and smooth. This is the second long rifle that I have owned that had the stiff bolt issue and was resolved easily. It makes for a good barganing tool when you contemplate a purchase. :>)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.