Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know the first thing about these guns, but I bet I can learn here! From what the dealer told me, they are real nice for the price! This one must be a arsenal refurbish, it looks brand new! Stamped on the right side OP 97, that must be when, also stamped X 54, that must be the year. Got a holster, spare factory mag, cleaning rod, and 6 packs (96 rounds) of surplus ammo for $225 OTD.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check the headstamp on that ammo, it looks like the bulgarian. If the headstamp is * 10 52 3 from top clockwise, I wouldn't shoot it. Regardless, check for split necks before loading it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks phoenix! :mad:That's what one pack is! Reckon that's what they all are? They all came out of the same box. Probably. :( Oh well, I want to get some non corrosive anyway. Just checked for some at the new Gander Mountain in town today at the grand opening; they didn't have any. A guy in the store told me where some is, though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
No problem, that stuff has been reoprted to be nasty stuff. Some of it has reportedly destroyed CZ52's. There are MANY opinions on this but I've always been the sort who says, "if it's a maybe, then why tempt fate," especially when there is far better surplus to be had for cheap and a decent bit of new manufacture if you look. I'm kinda surprised that your Gander Mtn. didn't have any, mine here does carry the Winchester white box stuff which is actually made by S&B. Anyway, enjoy your Czech-o-matic!!!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
YIKES!; Suspect Bulgy!

I thought that that lot of explosive Bulgy had been weeded out of the supply chain a couple of years ago!

The stuff to beware of comes in a pink wrapper - like a couple of your packs seem to be.

Dangerous Bulgarian Surplus Ammo:

The best we can figure is that it was some sort of proof test ammo that got accidentally mixed in with the regular milsurp import.

Although some shooters claim to have gone through hundreds of rounds of it without issue, all too many Czech O Matics were destroyed with it, and it's a miracle that no one (that I know of anyway) was seriously hurt.

If you can get a refund on it, I would try. Just hope that the dealer does not foist it off on some other unsuspecting customer.
If he really wants to avoid a lawsuit, he'd best not!

You might be able to salvage the bullets if you reload, but pulling those little 90 gr. pills can be problematic, depending on what system you use to pull bullets. But I would NOT try to fire the pink wrapper stuff with that 52 (or according to some, 53 as well) head stamp!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll just take it back and exchange it. He has a lot more. I have one round I got from him with headstamp only a 22 and 83. I'll see if he can give me those. Thanks guys! :)

AC

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 22 83 is Polish. It's thought by many (including myself) to be some of the best milsurp tok ammo still available. I've just about run an entre spam can through mine in the last 2 months and am about to order another or 2.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, phoenix. Hope he has a bunch of that then!

·
Silver Bullet member
28,885 Posts
Looks like someone over-cleaned that right grip. Thats how mine looked after a trip through the dishwasher (BTW, bad idea)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good looking pistol! The nice thing about the grip panels is they are available cheap! I just recently picked up a new CZ-52 myself (had one before and let it get away...this one isn't going anywhere!). Mine has the darker, almost black finish to it. They are great shooting guns. Some folks don't like the way they feel, but it fits my hand nicely.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
How's it look now Fushigi? A little homespun repair, didn't cost anything! I hear these grips are very delicate. The other one the dealer had probably looked like your washing machined one!

Haven't shot it yet, still have to exchange the ammo. Is that Polish stuff non corrosive? The headstamp being 83, does that mean 1983? Didn't they stop making corrosive by then?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
As a general rule, if any seller of foreign milsurp says that it's non corrosive...

Don't believe 'em!

I seem to recall seeing on the CMP forum where the US military went to non corrosive around 1953 (don't quote me on that, as I'm not real sure) but as far as I know most of the foreign stuff still is or at least very possibly could be.

When in doubt, flush that bore out thoroughly after shooting - better safe than sorry!

One way to test an unknown batch of ammo is to pull a bullet and dump out the powder, then fire the primer point blank onto an angled plate of mild steel.
Then set the plate outside and let the dew get to it overnight - not rain as it will wash the salts off completely.
If you have a big splash of rust where you popped the cap on it, then the ammo is corrosive. And hopefully you'll have cleaned your piece after conducting that experiment, or it will probably be rusty, too - even if you didn't leave it out all night.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys, I took the bad stuff back and would have traded it for the Polish, but he also had some S&B new commercial, so I just took that instead. No worries about corrosive! :) Might get to shoot it this weekend, going to a vintage military shoot with my new milsurp rifles, might as well bring it along!

AC

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you can get a refund on it, I would try. Just hope that the dealer does not foist it off on some other unsuspecting customer.
If he really wants to avoid a lawsuit, he'd best not!
I downloaded and printed out that article for him. He said he won't sell any more of it, but he'll shoot it up himself in his "burp gun". He appreciates the information Uncle Jaque.

AC

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Just a FYI on bad looking grips....Brown shoe stain makes a bad set of grips look very nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts