Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my military surplus dealer's place to show him my new Steyr M95, and lo and behold, he had this Budapest M95 there. I can't see any import markings on it. It is in better shape than my first one! No cosmoline, good bore, and the action works smoother. And I got it for cheaper, $150 OTD!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dude,
I can't exactly make out what the extra markings on the barrel are, but jump on it. They may be Czech.
Mc

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, Mc, I don't know what they are, but it is mine. My other one, the barrel has a lot of cosmoline in it, this one looks like this. I haven't cleaned it yet

This thing really has nice wood; there is some kind of mark with a design here.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Budapest M95

Very nice, sharp markings! The Czech District stamp is firm and clear, and it is side by side with the original Imperial stamp. The stamps are often uneven or overlapping, so it is extra nice.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ryg, I'm trying to learn all I can about these. Are the Czech markings significant? Did they come on both the Steyr and the Budapest? So, if they are kind of rare and Budapest only made 25%-35% of the total number of guns, then I would assume having them on one would be rare, correct? Or did more Budapests have them and Steyrs didn't? :confused:

AC

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Czech markings can be found on either of the manufacturers. The markings are significant because they are fairly rare, applied probably in the 20's or very early thirties. The number (8) signifies a military district.
Mc
S1 Praha
S2 Plzen
S3 Litomefice
S4 Hradec Kralove
S5 Ceske Budejovice
S6 BRNO
S7 Olomouc
S8 Opava
S9 Bratislava
S10 Bansks Bystrica
S11 Kosice
S12 Uzhorod

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Mc. I appreciate the information. But I don't see a S, other than the one for the caliber converson, just an 8 <mark> 8.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In my first reply I thought it was two eights also, but as you look at your picture the
czech marking is upside down, it reads s lion 8

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Mc! Thanks! I sure couldn't tell it was upside down, not ever seeing one before!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,961 Posts
Aircommando

Nice grab. I picked up an original Budapest Honved in 8x50 last year from Prez. They are getting scarce!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
553 Posts
NEAT!

Mc has it right! The Czeck mark S/lion/8 was applied in 1921-23. You don't see these often. I have a M1895 rifle with the same marking on it as yours! Unfortunate for me your is in MUCH better condition! Mine is still in 8x50R. Nice collectable piece.
dg13

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ike & dg13-- I would think an all original would be more desirable that a modified one! You guys are lucky! I appreciate the information, thanks a lot!

AC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts