Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this rifle today, the dealer tells me it is a captured weapon, rearsenaled or something in Yugoslavia. I don't know the first thing about it, but I like it! What can you tell me about it? Thanks in advance! Ser. # is J1657, all matching.

AC

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Captured is not the exact correct term as it was part of the spoils of war that the Yugos got ahold of and re-furbed AFTER WWII.
It WAS a German military issue 8mm K98 (maker unknown) the has had the German logo's "scrubbed" and the Yugo's national logo roll-pressed into the receiver.
Yugo captured k98's are well known for looking VERY good and shooting as good as they look!
They are not very "collectable" YET, but are coveted as straight shooting rifles that are handsome as well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, chasdev! The bore is outstanding, the action is very smooth, and I got it for a good price, I think! $250 OTD. And it is a genuine K98 then! That's great! The first hunting rifle I ever owned was a Santa Fe Arms Sporter in 30/06 with a Mauser 98 action! (About 1964 or so!) :)

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
That's an attractive piece!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Hambone! I found a German Waffen eagle and swastika on the base of the front sight. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's definitely one of the nicer Yugo rifles I've seen. Get some nice clean ammo for it (to keep the barrel sharp), and go to the range. You'll have a lot of fun! You'll startle some of the kiddos out there with the thunder of that 98k, and it'll shoot as accurate as any even on iron sights.

Like the C-130 icon by the way. ;) Did you fly in 130's or fall out of them or something? I'm a C-17 guy myself.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fell out of them, along with a whole bunch of others. I think I once counted about 23 different planes and helos. I thought the avatar was cool, but now I think I'll change it to my custom one with my jump wings.
The dealer threw in these three boxes of ammo, I think they all are corrosive.
The C-17 is a nice plane, been in one a couple times, but never rode in one. I got out in 1968! :)

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Yes the 50's Yugo and Equidoran are both corrosive.
Get your corrosive clean-up gear and procedures in order before you shoot it.
Until you do, stick to non-corrosive, or you WILL be sorry.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
nice. did you see the ce-44? they would make a nice 'contrast' picture. that sure is a nice rifle! i have stayed away from the yugos but if i saw that first.................

·
Registered
393 Posts
thats a sweet Yugo K98 rework,congrats,i have one that i use as a shooter and will never part with it,i love that rifle,very smooth action,enjoy

PS,,,,love that stock

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! Yeah, I saw the ce 44, solman; nice light stock! Didn't quite know what he was referring to when he was talking about a Norwegian capture! Like I thought mine was a Yugoslav capture! :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Haha, yeah I did five free fall jumps back in the summer of 2002. It is definitely the most exhilerating feeling in the world to fall out of an airplane (all five jumps were solo). The C-17 is a big, beautiful girl though, I love it.

I explained what I meant about the Norwegian capture in the ce44 post, so you should check it out. Thanks everyone for the compliments by the way!

As far as the corrosive ammo goes, it looks like Cyrillic type, so I assume it is Yugo. Not too bad of stuff; the Turkish ammo is terribly corrosive and dirty as well as unreliable. I've had Turkish ammo fail to fire before which is a little unnerving. If you use it, just make sure you clean it immediately after you finish shooting. Just soak a few patches with Windex (something ammonia based) and run a few of them through then switch to the bore cleaner that you normally use. The ammonia will neutralize the salts from the gunpowder. If anyone else knows better then please feel free to correct me, but this is what has worked for me!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, BeneathTheSky, loved the feeling!:)I'm a little too old and banged up now to be jumping, I paid the price; two artificial knees, fused joints in my feet, arthritis throughout my whole body, fused neck vertebrae, all kinds of stuff!:(
That Yugo stuff, two boxes looked almost the same, but there were differences in the language. I'll just save it. I did go back to my guy and got this non corrosive Yugo he tells me. I might as well use non corrosive when I can get it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Uh, I'll be the first. That's also corrosive. Not very much in the way of N/C 8mm ammo. But the 70's stuff has a better rep. First the K31 and now this, better get a C&R if you don't have it already.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
You can get non corrosive Yugo under the brand "Privi Partisan".
It's made at the same factory a the military corrosive stuff but it's boxer non corrosive.
That 1978 Yugo is considered to be match grade stuff.
I've shot several thousand rounds of it, in the past..sadly.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm sitting on a case & a half of the 70's Yugo. good stuff. But I like the Romanian better, and I'm down to a case of that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info guys! That's why I joined this forum! Also because in the last couple weeks I bought a Steyr M95, Budapest M95, CZ 52, 2 K 31's and this K98. I also have a VZ 24 w/Lion crest on layaway!
I need plenty of help!:eek:I'm new to all of this, but jumped in with both feet!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Beautiful rifle! I have it's twin hanging on my wall...I just picked it up in a trade a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but hope to this weekend. I've found a total of 6 Waffenamts on mine so far.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts