Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended a sale today with SMELLIE, and I was not really looking for this one. It is a 1906 Carl Gustafs m/94-14 Carbine. The bolt is mis-matched to the receiver, but it is a Carbine bolt. There is an Arsenal Repair at the heel of the butt, and the leather tab and buckle are missing. The stock seems to look like it is Beech, which might be a possible Husqvarna Replacement as the front sight protector/bayonette mount is Husqvarna and the middle band and rest of the metal is Carl Gustafs. The numbers on both are the same three digits, so the front sight protector/bayonette mount is also a replacement. I have not taken the action out of the stock yet, so I will check for inside numbers later. The serial number is correct for a 1906 Carbine.

The stock disk is I-15, the Alvsborgs Regiment. (1624-1997) One of the original 14 Infantry Regiments of the Swedish Army. The 1906 Date, according to "Crown Jewels", had 692 Carbines built that year.

When we looked at the barrel, it resembled a Gopher hole, but the first patch came out with grease on it. A second one had much less grease and the third one fairly clean. Then, a hesitant peek into the barrel, followed by a big smile. Shiny, sharp rifling, with a Bore between 1 and 2 Grade.

Interestingly enough, when we were later at SMELLIE's house, he disappeared into his lower level Dungeon, and then emerged with a m/14 Bayonette and gave it to me. I have seen the leather tabs and buckles advertised on E-Bay and on Gunboards, so that piece should be available. Anyone got any extras for sale?

For the sum of $425 including all taxes, how could a Collector of Swedish firearms go wrong?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I am excited, just bought my first m94 this am in an online auction. Some anticipation as it was sight-unseen. Few photos provided. They did provide a short description of condition. Allege all numbers matching, bore very good, the serial is in the right range for the date. Will have to see when it is delivered. They made several mistakes on name early in auction posting. The live auction portion, nobody was bidding, so makes me a bit leery as they had opportunity to see it. But it is a bit obscure to the average bubba.

Another auctioneer, not this one, had provided tremendous information and photos in reply to my questions on an m96 they sold back in January. Amoskeag Auctions in New Hampshire is the place. The gun went for $450 in fast climbing auction, past my max. I bought a nice BSA Stutzen from them, with confidence the description was accurate. It arrived and was exactly as described. Good place!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I finally had enough time to take the wood off it. The stock and handguard match each other but not the rifle serial number. The stock number would put it in the first 400 made in 1916 so it is probably a replacement stock. After a good look, I have to agree that it is Elm.

I must say that it does look a bit "odd" sitting in the rack with all those dolled up m/96 FSR rifles. I might just have to put the bayonet on it to give it some length.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice find Buffdog! I really like that elm stock.

I don't know if there is a thread about this but I wonder if the guys in charge of the repairs done to the stocks were trying to use the same type of wood or if they didn't really care. I happen to have a M96 with an elm stock that has a repair which seems to be elm as well. I guess it depends when the repair was done.

Attachments

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,683 Posts
I would think any repair done after the ELM stock period would not likely be ELM . I have seen knots cut out & replaced , most likely done at the time the stock was made . So , I think yours would have been done when ELM was available . That is not a place you would see the stock damaged from use . Most likely a flaw in the wood of some kind from the start .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.