Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Sorrow over the loss of a pet I understand. I long ago came to the conclusion that our pets very often are the most true friends we ever have. Animals display traits of character that I wish people could learn. Condolences for your loss.
Well put. That is truly unconditional love. Sorry for your loss, Looter. I really do feel for you as I have lost some best friends in my past as well. I now have two dogs and two cats and love'em like family. They bring joy to my life every day.

· Registered
3,937 Posts
I have had very few cats I really liked. I did have one that I rescued. My brother and I were at a mini golf place, and a car pulls up, dad gets out with two boys holding a box. They put the box down near the entrance of the golf place and drive off. Out pops this cute tiger stripe tabby. My brother and I coaxed it into following us home, then told out mother we needed to take care of this abandonded cat that had 'followed' us home.

Never gave her a name, just called her Cat. She was awesome. She stayed close to me all through my callow youth, into my 20s. She would walk with me, 6-8 blaocks to the liquer store to get beer or milk or soda. She would wait at the crosswalk, with me. When I opened the fridge doors at the stores, she would put her front paws up on the opening ledge to take a peek at what was inside.

She even took to my pet rat, sleeping with it in her carrier. I have a pic somewhere, Cat and Socrates the Rat, curled up, together.

I have known quite a few cats, and none were quite like Cat. One of the closest was Beerwolf's cat, Atomic Punk. Punk was a tiger among cats. Big, huge actually, fearless squirrel slayer, and LOVED to wake you up by clawing the snot out of you with such dedicated affection you almost felt bad bouncing him off the wall. Punk would wait over the porch cover, and liked to jump on people as they passed below. Most of us got used to having 12-15 pounds of cat suddenly on your shoulders and head. Punk was affectionate, friendly and never met a stranger, just friends to be.

Great cats, all, and I feel a great amount of sorrow for you loss, yet joy for you that you had such a companion and friend. They blessed us with their presense.

· Registered
131 Posts
Well-stated...couldn't agree more. Thoughts are with you while getting through this. The cool thing is that just when we think we won't find another like them - another one (or two or three) seems to find us! As our big husky is starting to fail in his health recently - we came a cross an abandoned , skeletal chocolate lab about to be hit on the side of the highway. We stopped & picked him up - took him to vet to be checked out & after finding he had been shot in the back with buckshot, he is now nursed back to health and is a new member of our pack (3 dogs, 4 cats at this time). the most appreciative dog we've had the pleasure of coming into our lives!

Hope you are open to another - when timing is right. hang in there & keep the good memories alive...

wort

Sorrow over the loss of a pet I understand. I long ago came to the conclusion that our pets very often are the most true friends we ever have. Animals display traits of character that I wish people could learn. Condolences for your loss.

· Registered
835 Posts
It never ceases to amaze to see appreciation come form an animal, even though it shouldn't surprise. The cat I mentioned that could shake hands and would come when you called no matter how far away was trained in a matter of a day with pats and scratches behind the ear as his only reward. He was lonely and scared and living out in the barn and the dog was his only friend until he trusted me enough to get close. Man I miss him. condolences again...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.