Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next-door neighbor of 22 years passed away Thursday. He was a WWII veteran of the Pacific Theater, and truly one of the greatest generation.

Shortly after we bought our house he came over, and hesitantly asked if I would help him bury one of his cows. His sons were out of town, and I could tell he hated to ask such a favor on a hot August day, but I knew right then that he was going to be an interesting neighbor! The favor was repaid many times over the years. . . .

Always helpful, always cheerful, we spent many an hour leaning on the fence and discussing the world, and often my latest trip to the rifle range. I'm going to miss him a lot.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,061 Posts
TDM, What a great story. Be glad you took time to talk. So many have gone and we were too busy to sit on the porch and listen.
My part time employment requires that I perform alot of cold calls in neighborhoods. 6 - 7 years ago I was working in a neighborhood that had well passed its prime and was on the edge of turning the circle into Yuppie land rehabs, I spotted an elderly man on a hot summers afternood at his mail box and approached him concerning my mission in the area, as i approached I noticed a battered old baseball cap , that read " B17 Navagtor " , being friendly I forgot why I was there and asked him about the hat, That began a wonderful afternoon on his pourch , hearing all the stories, seeing his album of photos of his time with a bomber group in england during WW2 --- The shame of it was his wife had long passed and his children lived in California and wanted him to seel his home, and go to a Retirement village ( guy was like 80), He said they did nt have any interest and just wanted him to seel the home for the big Yuppie bucks-- I loved his stories and upon leaving he gave me a 8 th army uniform patch--- I stopped and saw him another 2 - 3 times in the following yeras and on the last visit, he was gone , the house knocked down and a MC Mansion stood in its place--- never knew waht happened to him , asked a neighbor who bluntly replied that they throught he died and the kids sold the property. I always will be thankful for stopping on that hot Georgia afternoon and listening

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.