2. Rechamber to 6.5x257
3. Barrel shortened to about 20"
4. Sporter stock
5. Sights removed
6. Drilled & tapped with Weaver mounts
7. Big cheap scope mounted
8. Safety had big lever welded on it
9. Sporter bolt handle installed

I think the extractor & firing pin might still be original.....

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Too much bad. Pass.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hi Sgt. Neutron :

As you can read on today's Forum by "Trenchwarfare" has restored a sporterized Kokura 97 he found in May thanks to a donor Type - 38 Kokura rifle. Rescues & restorations are possible if one is willing to have an inexpensive sniper or has intentions to restore for profit in today's highly desirable sniper market.
I hope that you wrote down and can furnish us at least the arsenal maker & rifle serial number. That way we can start a data file card on the receiver for research and historical purposes. This will help out in the future should someone restore it and then advertise it as "original condition" vet bring back.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Sgt. Neutron :

As you can read on today's Forum by "Trenchwarfare" has restored a sporterized Kokura 97 he found in May thanks to a donor Type - 38 Kokura rifle. Rescues & restorations are possible if one is willing to have an inexpensive sniper or has intentions to restore for profit in today's highly desirable sniper market.
I hope that you wrote down and can furnish us at least the arsenal maker & rifle serial number. That way we can start a data file card on the receiver for research and historical purposes. This will help out in the future should someone restore it and then advertise it as "original condition" vet bring back.
Vicasoto
If I can get back by the shop(don't know when I can get back there, maybe early next week---housepainting this weekend :( ), I can get the serial number. I know it's a Nagoya. The receiver is still in one piece, but like I said has been drilled & tapped on the top (can't see what has been done under the Weaver mounts).

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,665 Posts
Probably drilled through the Mum or the "97"? Sound like one that you buy, set in the corner and hope parts eventually come your way. Problem would be finding and the cost of a series 28/29 Nagoya for a barrel/site(s) and stock. A pity though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I can get back by the shop(don't know when I can get back there, maybe early next week---housepainting this weekend :( ), I can get the serial number. I know it's a Nagoya. The receiver is still in one piece, but like I said has been drilled & tapped on the top (can't see what has been done under the Weaver mounts).
OK, This is a Nagoya Type 97, Serial# 10836. The serial number is VERY faint, especially the last three digits. There is no mum, and no grind marks where it should be. This, coupled with the faint numbers leads me to believe that it was heavily polished when sporterized. The forward scope mount covers the area where the type marking should be. The sporter stock covers where the original scope mount should attach to the receiver, but when the bolt is opened you can see the screw holes. The milled portion of the receiver is still visible above the wood line of the sporter stock. The bolt handle IS original, but has been shortened somewhat, and hollowed out at the end. Bolt still shows numbers that match the receiver. No numbers on the extractor. The series mark looks like it is a series 1. Would this be correct?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably drilled through the Mum or the "97"? Sound like one that you buy, set in the corner and hope parts eventually come your way. Problem would be finding and the cost of a series 28/29 Nagoya for a barrel/site(s) and stock. A pity though.
I DO have a Nagoya 29 in really good shape, has a ground mum, and bolt is mismatched (bold does have the correct notched safety though). No, I'm not going even think of cannibalizing it. :)

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello Sgt Neutron :

Thank you so much for the effort to get the serial number. Yes the Nagoya 97 production was stamped with the first series kana, although the first couple of hundred rifles did not have the encircled kana in the beginning. It appears that once field tested and accepted for full production, that first batch was returned to the factory for the addition of the encircled kana.
Naturally there is always an exception, somebody didn't get the word as rifle # 101 never went back for the marking update. Any Nagoya 38 rifle with the cupped buttplate ( 27 - 28 - 29th series ) would work as a donor for most parts except for rear sight leaf, rear barrel band, and scope mounting base assembly. Glad you won't use the 29th for that project.
$ 150 is an ok price for the sporter rifle, the shame being that a 97 action was butchered to create it. Searched thru my files, rifle # 10836 is a new number, and no there is no matching issue scope reported thus far. There is only one issued scope in the 10800 range reported ( 10841 ).
Vicasoto

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Sgt Neutron :

Thank you so much for the effort to get the serial number. Yes the Nagoya 97 production was stamped with the first series kana, although the first couple of hundred rifles did not have the encircled kana in the beginning. It appears that once field tested and accepted for full production, that first batch was returned to the factory for the addition of the encircled kana.
Naturally there is always an exception, somebody didn't get the word as rifle # 101 never went back for the marking update. Any Nagoya 38 rifle with the cupped buttplate ( 27 - 28 - 29th series ) would work as a donor for most parts except for rear sight leaf, rear barrel band, and scope mounting base assembly. Glad you won't use the 29th for that project.
$ 150 is an ok price for the sporter rifle, the shame being that a 97 action was butchered to create it. Searched thru my files, rifle # 10836 is a new number, and no there is no matching issue scope reported thus far. There is only one issued scope in the 10800 range reported ( 10841 ).
Vicasoto
I forgot to add, the Type 97 I saw today was chambered in 6.5x57. I saw a Type 38 carbine in another local shop that was sporterized and chambered in 6.5x.257(it was $99). It was well done, and would make a super little carbine for woods hunting or for a junior shooter, but the wildcat dies would cost more than the rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts