Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Copper Bullet Member
9,027 Posts
as i responded up stairs. if you want components. join a local forum
i have and we let each other know where and win stuff is available
50 sets of eyes is better than 1
you also get to meet some good people from your area, fellowship and trade lies :)

http://www.diamondkbrass.com/.45-ACP-5000.html

http://www.xtremebullets.com/

what type of scale do you have? you need a good one, not a cheap one

· Copper Bullet Member
9,027 Posts
get the book lyman 49th edition it lists what powder and what primer to use for what caliber...READ THE BOOK a lot of your questions will be answered
then..buy a chronograph to tweak your loads to what you want

· Banned
21,480 Posts
You need more than lead to make bullets. Gas checks are for rifle bullets, not needed for pistol rounds. CJN Casting, guys stuff is great. 9mm Luger rounds are 115gr plated Berry's bullets. Nothing fancy about those rounds, but they fly right.

· Gold Bullet Member
2,173 Posts
as i responded up stairs. if you want components. join a local forum
i have and we let each other know where and win stuff is available
50 sets of eyes is better than 1
you also get to meet some good people from your area, fellowship and trade lies :)

http://www.diamondkbrass.com/.45-ACP-5000.html

http://www.xtremebullets.com/

what type of scale do you have? you need a good one, not a cheap one
What is the best way to find a local group? I looking for one here in Southeastern Arizona. Thought I got a toe in to a group but can't get any responses from the guy after I bought some brass from from him a year ago

grey

· Copper Bullet member
4,870 Posts
Define your intentions and purposes for reloading as there are considerations yet to be discussed here ...
Cranking out 45ACP for cheap volume shooting is one thing. With current ammo prices, son and I are willing to invest the effort in casting bullets and stuffing them to be able to shoot a couple hundred each every month on the range at about a nickle @ ... if we can get our hands on more powder which has been absent for an entire year now and severely curtailed out shooting.

Precision reloading for rifle rounds is not nearly as cost efficient, very time consuming, and can become an exercise in futility working up the most accurate rounds. If that becomes your hobby and objective, enjoy! Don't let it become your obsession!
More than a few "regulars" at my range are obsessed with their reloading of various rifle calibers. They labor intensely all week long then come to the range to try them out. Very often, they leave in abject frustration when the fruits of their labor prove spoiled and sour. Some have gotten heavily invested in different rifles in different calibers just following the quest for the perfect round and load. After a few months, they move on to something different and even give up on calibers and loads that just didn't achieve what they wanted. I know one who loads a whopping dozen rounds,comes to the range and shoots each very slowly, then leaves bound and determined that next week will prove better!

What he is missing is the skill to shoot them as accurately as possible, a skill that can only be obtained with lots of practice and lots of ammo! Just watching him, it is plainly obvious that it ain't the bullets and it ain't the rifle! Fiddling with different loads isn't going to gain him any traction as his basic rifle skill set is limited.

I shoot upwards of 100 or more rounds a session with cheap (and getting more expensive by the day) milsurp which is not exactly known for precision. I stick with one caliber and two customized rifles. I know the capabilities of each and at longer distances where temperature, wind, air density and humidity all come into play. Some lots (spam cans) and country and year prove superior but I shoot what I can get at the lowest cost possible. One of the fanatic reloaders spent a year working on a futile attempt to better the round only to never come up with one better and abandon that caliber in favor of a new and different rifle in a different caliber. He is about worn out and frustrated with that and about to dump it as well. I was most impressed with it and might have to buy it when he dumps it but I don't feel like loading for it which would require a considerable investment and a lot of time.

Figure out what you want to reload for and why before you fall into the deep hole of frustration that plagues so many reloaders.

· Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My intent is two-fold: One is to attain .45acp cheaper than the ridiculous prices in the stores in hopes of being able to take my XD out and have some fun with it at an affordable price. Second, since I would be reloading and already have purchased the equipment, is to reload my .280 and my daughters -08 and not pay $34 and $25 a box. The dies required for the two rifles are trivial to me as one day they will have paid for themselves and someone else will eventually buy them from me. The .45acp dies will hopefully be in my possession as long as I can pull the arm down on the press and I can hang on to a firing handgun.

Oh, 8x57 isn't cheap anymore either so why not load my spent brass for that also.

· Silver Bullet Member
112 Posts
Thank You db2044, that would have taken me all day to type that. I too have seen this very same situation happen to so many. Huge mountain of green backs spent to getem' all in one hole and reach for the Advill and Pepto when they don't. Be cautious, Kursk, about trying to improve on nickle size groups and enjoy shooting.

· Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hijack, my .280 shoots those nickles. The -08 doesn't but it only has about 12 rounds through it and once it is sighted in a bit better it will only be used on Wisconsin whitetail for now and maybe some southern hogs in the future.' The .280 has a Nikon monarch 3.5 x 10 x 50, the whole setup is from around 1997 when I bought it all new. The -08 I bought for my daughter last year, a rem 700 cdl w/ drop magazine topped with a Nikon pro-staff non-bdc (should have gotten that damn bdc).

I'm going to start a new thread on dies. Thanks to all. btw, I wasn't trying to improve the .280 accuracy, just tired of paying out the rear for the ammo.

· Banned
21,480 Posts
Kursk,

Let me add one more observation: I haven't saved a nickel yet, as I'm still buying gear. While the cost per round is lower I have to buy the gear and then shoot enough so the average cost per rounds drops, then drops some more as more rounds are fired. I'm pretty sure I would need to shoot between 3000-4000 rounds of 45 ACP to make everything pay for itself. I'm not close to that yet... I've got probably $2000 in equipment. Thats a lot of 45ACP. This cost doesn't include powder, primers, brass, or bullets. Probably got $2000 in that as well.

· Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I see VA. Well, to be honest I am likely going to order that Lee classic turret. I like the idea of changing the tool plate for caliber change and you get to monitor each step vs. a progressive. I feel that the single stage would be just fine also but I really don't want to go that route.

I don't plan on sticking that kind of money into this like you did but I do plan on stocking up on powder/bullets/primers.

Thanks all.

· Banned
21,480 Posts
10 #'s of powder: $300 (if lucky) You do want to shoot, right???
10k primer: $350 (maybe $300 if lucky)
5k 45 ACP bullets: $500 (unless you cast), and my price assumes lead bullets, not plated or HP, those are more

Bottom line: you will spend, you will spend...

· Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
va if I wanted to cast and not go thru the hassle of trying to drum up lead wheel weights but rather buy the lead ingots...where can I get them?

can you tell me what is acceptable for lead hardness also?

· Registered
14,356 Posts
Roto Metals will sell you the alloy ingots you need.
The hardness of the alloy depends on how much pressure your loads will develop.
The LA Silhouette Club has the best web resource for cast bullets and bullet alloys.
http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm

va if I wanted to cast and not go thru the hassle of trying to drum up lead wheel weights but rather buy the lead ingots...where can I get them?

can you tell me what is acceptable for lead hardness also?

· Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
here is a link off that website. getting 1lb of lead and equaling 30 bullets comes to around .42cents a bullet. this if you order more than $99 worth. that isn't cheap. I must be missing something here.

· Banned
21,480 Posts
Kursk,

Goin' be honest with you. Forget about casting right now. Get your reload equipment and then get your ammo loading process down pat 1st. Then, after some period of time, like a year, maybe start casting. Its too much to learn and master all at once.

I have some linotype, no lead, and no equipment for casting. Maybe some day I will. Don't have enough time right now to reload, can't see burning the time I do have casting too.

MTC,

VA-Vet

· Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
ok well where can I get sized lead .45acp bullets cheaper than plated then?

I see that extreme has 500 for $60 w/free shipping and they are .452 diameter while midway has them but they are .451 diameter. I assume that has something to do with the hardness of the jacket?

· Banned
21,480 Posts
I use 200gr RNFP from CJN Casting. They are 10.7 cents per bullet delivered to my door.

Since I don't have time to cast, the price is right for me. They don't lead up my barrels, and they shoot just fine. Don't buy his entire stock or I'll be mad.

The extreme price is not too bad. Size doesn't have anything to do with hardness. Size has to do with barrel size. Some 45s might like .452 better than .451. The bullet gets "crushed" just a bit through the dies (I think I'm right on this), so a .452 might end up .451.

· Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Same price for me delivered to my door as the extreme with free delivery. I have an XD45 service and have only shot some magtech 230rn and the rest wwb 230rn. I suppose I would have to put a caliper in my barrel muzzle in the groves. What tolerance is acceptable? couple thousands max? If that's the case then my barrel muzzle should be .450?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.