Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gonna make myself a vibratory primer tube filler.

I figured their had to be an easier way to load primers than with a pick-up tube, so I did some research.

I discovered that Franklin Arsenal used to have just what I was looking for. Dang it, they discontinued it - wonder why? It seemed like such a good idea.

And then I found the following YouTube video, and said to myself, "I can do that."
YouTube - Home made Dillon Primer filler.

So, I just bought me a Lee Auto Prime from Midway and a simple vibrator from Ebay. Yeah I know, better not let the wife find it.

The auto prime cost me 24.29 and the vibrator cost me 7.98.

I'll let you all how it works for me. Should be just what the doctor ordered.

Hack

·
Silver Bullet member
972 Posts
I discovered that Franklin Arsenal used to have just what I was looking for. Dang it, they discontinued it - wonder why? It seemed like such a good idea.
I haven't gotten into reloading yet, but when I considered the potential effects of tiny, rapid agitation of primers in a hard-sided container (like a primer tube), my first thought was "Increased risk of accidental primer detonation." Though how valid a concern that would be, I have no idea.

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
I believe they would take many more psi (and on the cup face yet) than jostling around in a container would do to set one off. But, it is a good thing to think about. They are igniters after all.

Interesting idea on the tube filler.

Cheers

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe they would take many more psi (and on the cup face yet) than jostling around in a container would do to set one off. But, it is a good thing to think about. They are igniters after all.

Interesting idea on the tube filler.

Cheers
I agree, I don't think vibrating side-to side, will ignite them.

I say this because, sometimes a light firing pin strike won't do it. The vibrating is not violent at all.

hack

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,749 Posts
It's possible that vibration may loosen up priming compound in the primer cup?

·
Registered
7 Posts
primer

I've punched out many live primers pistol rifle and shotgun and loaded them right back up they still work this if you did not dent them. They are tuffer than they look

·
Registered
25,699 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I haven't gotten into reloading yet, but when I considered the potential effects of tiny, rapid agitation of primers in a hard-sided container (like a primer tube), my first thought was "Increased risk of accidental primer detonation." Though how valid a concern that would be, I have no idea.
Not the slightest bit of a problem.

Primers require a HARD impact, to crush the compound pellet between the cup and anvil. Shaking and vibrating won't do it.

And they require IMPACT, just squeezing them only crushes them, silently.

·
Registered
25,699 Posts
you guys are ANSWERING a 10 year old thread that a spammer pulled up..
he was deleted
so now you appear to be..i do not know what....
Apparently you didn't open the link on my post. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts