Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are finally taking that trip to Prague that I've been trying to make for the last 15 years. It seemed like every time I had time to travel, another location seemed more appealing or necessary. Marseilles, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Carcassonne, Antiqua, Normandy - some place has always eclipsed Prague. This year though, we're going. We have our tickets in hand. Can anybody recommend any Czech weapons-related sites in or near the capitol? The wife lived for a couple years there, so she has a tour already planned. It looks like Brno is only about 80 miles to the southeast, so maybe we can take the train there. We'll rent a car for sure, but I don't want to lose a day driving to visit a place if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Whatever you do or find out while you're there, ask about VZ52 stocks! Maybe you'll uncover a corner of a little shop with a dozen or so sitting there getting dusty! LOL You could probably pay back the cost of your trip if you could bring 'em back!

Have a great time. I've never been there but understand that it's a beautiful place to visit.

Rome

·
Registered
110 Posts
I lived there for two years about twenty years ago. There used to be a fantastic gunstore on Parir (should be hacheks over the r's) . Back then only Party types and Diplomats could buy weapons. I bought a PPK, an HSC, many .25's and they were all less than $20.00 each. Oh the good old days.
Mc

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes sort of a v over the r's. Makes the r into a rzh sound. Praha was a lovely city I would love to revisit.
Mc

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
my-rifle
Visit the military museum. It is very good.
Brno is about 3 1/2 hours south. There isn't much there. The factory complex was sold recently so all you can do is get a picture of the tower with the ZB logo.
Prague is my favorite city! I've been to over 60 countries and I love Prague. Great beer, guns, girls and food!!
Steve

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll leave Brno out of the trip then. The wife wants to take me to the university where she was a student in 89, and she wants to buy some chandeliers and stuff. I'd better stop buying AK kits until my credit card has a chance to rebound from the carnage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would recommend the Czech Military Museums. There are three or four parts to the museum. The one I went too was the history of the Czech Army. I have no idea how I got there or where is it is located. We meet the Publishers of one of the Czech firearms magazines that took us there. We took the subway to where ever we got off at and walked a block to the museum.

Here is the link to the main Czech miltary Museum website

http://www.militarymuseum.cz/cz/cz/

Prague is one of the most expensive places in Europe. The further from the center of Prague you go the cheaper it gets for food and shelter.

Have a great time I know I did!

Robert

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My first trip to Prague was by car from Vienna to Budepest, Prague then east Berlin. All my other trips were by train except the last one where I drove in from Nürnberg.
If Prague is that expensive it has been a recent thing. Last time I was there was maby 10 yrs ago and there was nothing expensive about it.
The "Old Town" part, close to the river is what I like the best. I know nothing about arketecture(?) but those 500+ year old building are beautiful!!!
I believe the museum mentioned is on the north side of town. There is a large military complex there and the subway ride from the train station was not long and then a block or 2 to the east gate. I was there to buy surpluss tanks & half tracks 20 years ago. Didn't know about a museum.
You will most certainly enjoy the trip!
Sarge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts