Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an invitation that I just couldn't refuse from type-14! There's a show about an hour from me Aug. 16 & 17 and I've already got the trip planned! He so nicely offered to work up a data sheet on my Type 38 and I'm going to venture into the world of Nambu! Thanks again for all the help yall have given me. I am really enjoying this!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
She's Back!!!!

Got an invitation that I just couldn't refuse from type-14! There's a show about an hour from me Aug. 16 & 17 and I've already got the trip planned! He so nicely offered to work up a data sheet on my Type 38 and I'm going to venture into the world of Nambu! Thanks again for all the help yall have given me. I am really enjoying this!
Hey, Kimberly! We're glad you're back! "Venture into the world of Nambu"? Ohhhh, you don't want to do that! ;) I've never met Type-14, but if you're talking about getting a "REAL" Nambu they will become addicting! They are one of the coolest pistols available. They aim well and there's very little kick to them! They are fantastic! Have a WONDERFUL time at the show. You'll have fun! You go, GIRL! And welcome back!

·
Banned
1,237 Posts
type-14 is a great guy. i met him a few years back in PA when he lived up here at a Harrisburg show. super great guy! he looked at a photo album of mine that i brought home from Japan, and picked out the different weapon types and such from the photos. that literally was the start of this madness for me.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,990 Posts
That is way cool! You're off to a good start - going to your first show with someone that knows this stuff. Enjoy!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Kimberly....My Kind of Girl

Kimberly, I had thought you were a nice young girl, being from Alabama. Now I am beginning to wonder....your interest in your Dad's rifle is leading you down the slippery slope of addiction! Let me warn you that there is more than one Nambu pistol! If you get a T14 with a standard trigger guard, then you will need one with the "winter" guard. Then of course there is the "Baby", and the "Poppa", among others. It is never ending.....Of course, this type of addiction will keep you out of the pool rooms and beer joints! :) Seriously, Good luck on your first show. I hope you really enjoy it. My son collects Japanese weapons and we go to about 9 shows a year together. This is how we spend our quality time from Friday afternoons until Sunday nights. You will meet a great bunch of people! Best Wishes! from Selma, Alabama

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,990 Posts
Kimberly, you should check out Teri Bryant's Nambu website (I think it's in the stickies). She had amassed quite the collection in Canada of all places. She made it out to the last Langley Shoot in Arizona. Maybe you could make it out for the next one. There is also the Blevins shoot out your way on Mamorial Day weekend.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Have fun at the show; I have one piece of advice, either take no money or take lots of money!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Have a great time at the show, they are usually a ton of fun.Also Dons advice was spot-on ,either take a ton of money or very little, those shows can really be rough on the wallet,really rough place for impulse spending and itbreak your heart when items are just a couple bucks more than you brought,another rule to always remeber:"buy the item ,not the story" ,a lot of sellers are like used car salesmen,everything they have was brought back from some important place,or taken from a general...unless it has iron clad proof,take everything at what it is,not what they say..your going with an expert so that will be a lot of help seperating the good items from the good looking items..it is so refreshing to have a gal showing some enthusiasm about this hobby.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,876 Posts
and from alabama, too! There is a show in Huntsville sept. 20 and 21, sponsored by the Alabama Militaria Collectors Association. Held at the cahaba shrine on blue springs road on the northeast side of town.
Another one in birmingham in october. this one is sponsored by the Alabama Gun Collectors Association.

I joined the AMCA when it formed, but haven't been close enough to home since to make one of the shows. I hear they're pretty good ones though.
the shows in birmingham are some of the best in the southeast, and you'll usually find a couple members of this forum there with displays. I like this show so much I flew home from wyoming march of last year just so I could take Pop to it.

happy to hear you have a good wingman for the show, although if he's like the guys I hang out with, he'll just talk you into buying more! :)

welcome to the fun! Keith

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Type-14 is going to have his own display there....and I promised to scope him out when I got there! Maybe I should have him look for me....I'll probably be easier to spot at a gun show sticking out like a sore thumb!
I do have an embroidery machine....maybe I should put gunboards.com on my shirt so our members can find me! LOL

While I don't know that I'm ready to venture out from the Japanese area for purchasing just yet...I am certainly going to soak up all I can while I'm there. Since I do have a type 38....the next logical step, I'm told would be a type 99. I don't know enough about this yet to start expanding into different areas right now...at least not yet!

My daddy is going to meet me down there as well....so this could be the start of something wonderful for us to have together....along with the children. Then, my kids can one day say "My Big Popa bought me this gun when I was x old at a gunshow in blah blah". You know, something that they can hold on to.

I'll take my camera with me...and snap a pic of type 14 and me there at his display.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,474 Posts
Please, we all want some pics. Have a good time. There are a few ladies at all the shows. It will be easy to spot you but you will not be alone. I would get a type 99 while affordable. I am sure that t-14 will help you. A t-14 will be a good find and good investment. I am sure your grandfather would like either as a keeper. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Type-14 is going to have his own display there....and I promised to scope him out when I got there! Maybe I should have him look for me....I'll probably be easier to spot at a gun show sticking out like a sore thumb!
I do have an embroidery machine....maybe I should put gunboards.com on my shirt so our members can find me! LOL

While I don't know that I'm ready to venture out from the Japanese area for purchasing just yet...I am certainly going to soak up all I can while I'm there. Since I do have a type 38....the next logical step, I'm told would be a type 99. I don't know enough about this yet to start expanding into different areas right now...at least not yet!

My daddy is going to meet me down there as well....so this could be the start of something wonderful for us to have together....along with the children. Then, my kids can one day say "My Big Popa bought me this gun when I was x old at a gunshow in blah blah". You know, something that they can hold on to.

I'll take my camera with me...and snap a pic of type 14 and me there at his display.

You may think you will only get one type 99, but then you will want a different one too, then the next thing you know you will have an entire arsenal of them.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hey, Kim...

Yep, a Type 99 would be a nice companion for your Type 38...But a Type 14 pistol would be too...I wouldn't take a camera, many gunshows prohibit taking picture inside the show. Sometimes they'll let a display owner take a pic of their display, but normally they don't allow pics in the show hall. Any of you guys know if she can take pictures there?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, we'll get up against a wall so that we don't have any pics of any "merchandise"....and I'll argue them down about that one and I have a digital....so I'll even show them the picture of us...with no weapons!!! :D There's ALWAYS a way.

Adog, thanks for the invite. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to get a date with me! :D

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,990 Posts
I see A-dawg slipped a little pearl in there. Jim
I had to go back to see what you meant & found it. Mamorial day - must have been a Freudian slip ;) It was a typo - honest! :eek:

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,990 Posts
Adog, thanks for the invite. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to get a date with me! :D
If you were single, I would be trying to as fast as if you were a mint Nagoya T-99 long! :)

·
Diamond Member
1,174 Posts
Well Kimberly, I used to have a lot of............

Great American arms, like the M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, 1911, and then I got into JAPANESE!

They are all but a memory as they fell by the wayside to satisfy my insatiable thirst for more, and more JAPANESE!"

The darn thing's are a drain on the funds, but a lot of fun when you find the "Holy grail!"

Good luck, and watch out for these wolves in komono's who would "squire" you around a gun show! Trust me they are only after your type 38, they will get it, and then discard you to the ash heap of collecting in a heart beat!

I on the other hand can be trusted with your only daughter, overnight in a tent in the Smokey Mountains, so what time shall I meet you at the show? (for your safety of course!)

Tah

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh Tah..I feel SO much safer now!!!! :D We haven't decided if we are going on Sat or Sunday yet...but I'll let yall know!!! And that Type 38 isn't up for grabs to ANYONE! ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts