Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a couple new Nagant revolvers this weekend. 1931 Tula refurb but with all markings intact and a very interesting 1917 Tula which is the one I have a question on. The 1917 has the PTG markings only partially obscured (the second line on top is -0-'ed out, all other markigns are clear. At the top right of the left hand side of the frame where you would normally find an MO marking if it had been applied is a GKO marking. I am extremely interested in this. Has anyone seen this one before? Will post some pics when I get a chance if needed.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
Nice find on the GKO....several folks have reported them here. Not much known about the marking. I've wondered why they didn't date their marking like the MO....the date that it was transferred to them.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
How about some Pics??

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have a GKO or CKO marked Nagant. A 1945 Ishevsk revolver. Sounds like what you have, marked in the same spot. Also have a 1944 Tula Nagant with ZHN stamped in front of the cylinder on the left side. Don't have any idea what that means.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Z71, is the Zhn stamp a translation of the two letter prefix of the serial number? I've seen where a few importers will "translate" the Russian letter prefixes that are not common to our alphabet. Just a thought.

T

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, didn't realize what a find it was until now. I will take a couple pics today and post them. Seems to me the GKO which existed from 1941 to 1945 was the wartime predecessor of MO, correct? Very cool!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some pics. If the GKO did not come out well I can re-highlight.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Googled a bit more, guess I was confused. Not the Ministry of Defence which prior to MO was NKO but the State Defence Committe. Very interesting. Sounds like during the war this was more like a committe of guys that were pretty much strategists for the Great Patriotic War. Also interesting that they only existed as a group from '41 to '45.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts