·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 06/12/2005 : 08:55:15 AM

6000 miles in two weeks, Virginia to Montana and back. I sure am glad I bought the Ford P/U with the fancy seats.

Rained most of the time. Intended to do 4 days of gopher hunting in Montana, instead did 4 hours.

Picked up 10 year old Granddaughter in Illinois on the way out. Daughter warned me, that granddaughter had turned into a Girly girl and wouldn't be interested in shooting gophers. Check out pink collar under camo T-Shirt and earrings. Granddaughter said she would try and shoot just one. She had never shot before. Gave her basic instruction and her first shot was a kill. Could not have taken the gun from her after that.

Used the new Hornady 17 Mach 2 in a model 12 takedown. When she got a kill she got to put the fired case back in the box. She fired 90 rounds even and has 70 empty cases in the box.

She also got to shot at a rock chuck. 122 yards head shot.

Me I never fired a shot. I was having much too much fun working with the granddaughter.
DD

That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it an pass it on with pride. It deserves it....Malcolm Cobb The Martini-Henry Note-Book.
Edited by - DoubleD on 06/12/2005 09:18:42 AM

martininut
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
204 Posts
Posted - 06/12/2005 : 11:27:53 AM

Douglas,

That does my heart good! As one with only two daughters and no sons, your cute little grandaughter reminds me of my nine year old girly girl who constantly beats the pants of the boys at the range with her BSA cadet martini in 357Mag.Evil only triumphs when good men stand by and do nothing.

gert10
Gunboards Super Premium Member

456 Posts
Posted - 06/12/2005 : 11:44:44 AM
Douglas,
Nice to see you back - I assume this means you'll have to build another .17 Martini for yourself...
[/URL]

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 06/12/2005 : 12:16:02 PM

quote: Originally posted by gert10

Douglas,
Nice to see you back - I assume this means you'll have to build another .17 Martini for yourself...

Gert,

I have been down this road before. That's the second 17 Mach 2 I built. I built mine first. I don't know why I bothered, it never got shot on the trip.

DD

That isn't your Martini you have. It belonged to others before you and will belong to others after you are gone. Look after it an pass it on with pride. It deserves it....Malcolm Cobb The Martini-Henry Note-Book.

TDLefty
Gunboards Member

USA
11 Posts
Posted - 06/16/2005 : 06:47:25 AM

Doug,
What a beautiful child. Looks like she had a great time.
When my daughter was young I did my very best to interest her in shooting with me. No dice!
She's a hard worker and a great mommy to my grandson, but still has no interest in firearms at all. However, when that boy gets a little older...............!
Todd

DoubleD

South Africa
1829 Posts
Posted - 06/16/2005 : 07:44:03 AM

From the time we got to Montana I would take my Granddaughter out in the truck with me to shoot gophers. She was 3 or 4 years old. To little too shoot, but she could spot them. She would call out "there's one Grampa!" She was so cute, standing there on the seat looking through the binoculars and wearing a set of earmuffs as big as her head. Later still she would call out "you got him Grampa!". I knew she was hooked when she started saying "You missed!" and when we got home she would tell Gramma how many I missed, and she was right. I was a little broken hearted when her mom and her moved to Illinois. But we followed shortly after when I got posted to D.C. She has been spending two months durng the summer with us.

This summer she only spent the two weeks of our trip to Montana and back with us. She is a little older and wants to do summer thing with her friends. Grampa will get over that.

Folks the future of our shooting and hunting sport lies in the hands of our children, especially in our society that is no longer male dominated, in our girl children. We must take these little boys and little girls out and introduce them firearms and hunting at a very young age. If our sport is to survive, these men and women of the future are who will preserve it.

DD

Edited by - DoubleD on 06/16/2005 07:45:28 AM

freddo
Gunboards Member

Australia
19 Posts
Posted - 06/21/2005 : 11:06:41 AM

Amen to that and drill it into them about open actions as you have obviously done.I've been missing your posts Douglas.That certainly is a lovely grand daughter you have there comes from the mothers side I suppose [chuckle]-Threw that in in case you were missing them-chuckle chuckle

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so this post is only important to me....but it's a Grandfather right!!! She'll be 13 next month. Her cousin my other Granddaughter is 5 month old

Two good reasons to go back to America. March we head home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts