Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gibbs is advertising an '03A4 Sniper repro, apparently complete with scope, which I assume is a replica of the Lyman or Weaver, in the nse Shotgun News. List price is $995. To be introduced at the Shot Show. Anyone else see it and have any thoughts?

gary

·
Registered
749 Posts
The shotgun news ad directs viewers to Gibbs website which is still under construction. So unless someone gets motivated enough to contact the company questions will remain unanswered.
It would be a fast and easy way to obtain an A4 clone. The pic in the ad LOOKS ok but who knows until more details are available.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That sounds very interesting, if the details are in line, it would be a great find. I'd be very interested in one if it were a decent job.

Please post info if you find it.

Jeff

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
Called Gibbs today and Navy arms answered the phone. The lady who answered would not give me any details other than they will be avaliable soon. I guess we will have to wait until the Shot show is over to find out details.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I want one!

Hello all. I saw the ad in the latest Shotgun News. I definately want one! I just hope that one of the "Gun Gurus" will do an article on one.

·
Registered
749 Posts
the website www.gibbsrifle.com is now up and running

- new stocks and barrels(w/current date of mfg)
- std. Remington 03-A3 rcvrs from Parker Hale inventory self off
- reproduction Redfield mounts
- reproduction M73B1 scope from ?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great, thanks. The website says it all. Except where to send the money!

Jeff

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Glad to see their marking them and the scopes so as not to confuse them with originals.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,896 Posts
Navy Arms (Val Forgett) purchased the English Gibbs Rifle company and brought the name to his warehouse established in West Virginia. His Son was put in charge and they started US production of Parker Hale (another British purchase) centerfire rifles with the receivers altered to take surplus US M1903 rifle bolts. Quality was up and down. The warehouse (Son with Val's death) also began manufacture/conversions of Indian .308 rifles into loose replicas of No.5 Jungle carbines and so forth.
I would caution spending advance money on a US sniper given Navy Arms' dismal performance on bringing the Colt Slide Action rifle to the US market. They were the first to say it was coming and they have yet to deliver. Taurus, Beretta and AIA have them in stock. Comments for what it's worth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SHOT show

Saw one at the Navy arms display at the SHOT Show last week. According to company rep, the barrels are made by Pedersoli, 4 groove. The scope is made in the Phillipines, and the mounts in China. The stock is an imported C stock reproduction. The package as a whole looks very good. I looked through the scope. A little dim, but usable. Sort of like looking through a Simmons. The receiver is a standard 03A3, not a split numbered 03A4. Given the price of a standard 03A3, or the value of a genuine 03A4, the MSRP on these looks pretty reasonable. No information on availability or delivery dates.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Should be getting one for review today. Plan to take it to the range tomorrow. Will post a report. It'll be one of the feature rifles in the new "Guns & Ammo Surplus Firearms."

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Saw one at the Navy arms display at the SHOT Show last week. According to company rep, the barrels are made by Pedersoli, 4 groove. The scope is made in the Phillipines, and the mounts in China. The stock is an imported C stock reproduction. The package as a whole looks very good. I looked through the scope. A little dim, but usable. Sort of like looking through a Simmons. The receiver is a standard 03A3, not a split numbered 03A4. Given the price of a standard 03A3, or the value of a genuine 03A4, the MSRP on these looks pretty reasonable. No information on availability or delivery dates.
"The receiver is a standard 03A3, not a split numbered 03A4." So they are using real O3A3 receivers?

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
If the quality is ANYTHING like the "restored" Mauser 71/84's they did (and I have seen MANY), I would RUN, not walk away from these. We won't even approach the "Jungle Carbines" that have a propensity to launch the dowel reattached foreend down-range after firing a few shots.

So, now the replica C stocks they are using are cut from beech. Gee, that's authentic - NOT! How hard would it have been to get walnut...not very. And I won't mention the not-even-close bolt notch in the stock.

I can only say no one could ever be fooled into believing these are genuine. Quality control and attention to detail is NOT high on Gibbs list of standards

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts