Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know where to go to find out what kind of Gewher 88 this rifle is. Any info on this? Pictures are kind of lousy but I took them in a hurry. Please let me know anything, I'm a complete newbie to Mausers. and I'v got 4 of them to figure out what they are.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Technically, the Mauser forum gets picky sometimes, it's more of a Mannlicher design.

What you have is the Turkish 88/05/35 rifle, a German Gew88 with stripper-clip feeding modifications further modified by the Turks in the 1930s for modern 8mm and a standardized Turk style stock. Pretty common, worth $200 give or take $75.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vaarok, thats just what I needed! How can I find out what year it was made?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Looks like a Turkish modified Gew 1888 Comission Rifle that the Germans supplied to their Turkish allie during WWI. It was rebuilt to some degree inTurkey (refinished and a bolt disassembly tube and washer added to the stock like post 1916 Gew 98) . These had more Mannlicher features than Mauser design features and you will likely get more info if you post on the Mannlicher forum.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The one picture is a Gewehr 88 that was re-worked by the Turks in the mid 1930s during their armament program to upgrade all their older rifles to certain standard and caliber (8x57mm Mauser). She should have a new, heavier barrel installed as well. The markings generally are scrubbed on the exterior and the Turkish arsenal that performed the conversion along with the date of conversion are stamped on the receiver.

In her heyday, she would have been an 88 that was modified sometime in 1905 to utilize the Gewehr 98 style charger clips and do away with the en-bloc clips used previously. Her receiver and bolt would have also been "in the white" or not blued. She would have also had a barrel shroud that incased the whole barrel and there would be no need for a hand guard. The pistol grip would have been a straight grip and there would be no bolt take down disc.

My best comparison to what the Turks converted your Gewehr 88 to is the Turkish Mauser 1903 which was the standard Turkish arm of the time.

Your Gewehr 88 also went "all the way" with there being three distinct variations on Gewehr 88s that saw Turkish service.

The first would be a Gewehr 88/05 that is still in the German Imperial trim but has the rear-sight stamped to Arabic numerals and Turkish firing proofs on the bottom of the barrel. Many will have Czech replacement bolts in them.

The second variation would be Gewehr 88s that were re-arsenaled in Turkey during the early 1930s and they would have their receivers, sometimes their bolts, blued. Generally all the parts were re-blued. The barrel would sometimes be replaced but not always. There will sometimes be a Turkish crescent moon stamp present on the receiver alongside original German arsenal markings. The rear sight would also have been scrubbed and re-stamped in Western style numerals.

The third variation would be one like yours that was converted completely to Turkish Mauser 1903 style standards.

I have attached a picture of my Gewehr 88 that is of the former first variation mentioned. This will give you an idea of a before and after with your Gewehr 88.

By the way, your rifle is beautiful, certainly speaks to Turkish abilities to make use of an older rifle and make something new out of it.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nabs, what can I say... You have gone over and beyond what I have asked. Can't thank you enough for that history lesson. This rifle is going to be cleaned up and maybe shot a few times to see how it shoots. So it was updated to accept the modern 8mm rounds on stripper clips?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wasthe tube and washer device useful in taking down the Commission rifle bolt or was this an "all rifles should look like this feature" on the part of the Turks?
I do not own a Gewehr 88/05/35 and it is possible that when the rifles were completely overhauled, that the bolt was somewhat changed too.

Hillger, if you could disassemble the bolt for your rifle, i would be very interested in seeing if there are any differences between mine and yours.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be able to tonight, stuck at work all day. But don't worry, I have gunboards to keep me busy at work! Ha ha...

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got to get into this gun last night and she is a beauty! Not one ounce of rust anywhere, PERFECT bore, and beautiful bluing. This must be due to the fact that is was drowning in cosmoline... I have a box full of paper towels covered in cosmoline. I plan on shooting this one this evening. I have some surplus 7.92 to shoot. Just double checking 7.92x57 is the right ammo for this Gewher 88 RIGHT?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I got to get into this gun last night and she is a beauty! Not one ounce of rust anywhere, PERFECT bore, and beautiful bluing. This must be due to the fact that is was drowning in cosmoline... I have a box full of paper towels covered in cosmoline. I plan on shooting this one this evening. I have some surplus 7.92 to shoot. Just double checking 7.92x57 is the right ammo for this Gewher 88 RIGHT?

The bolts on these rifles are still original Gew.88 bolts with no changes. The Mauser bolt take down disk in the stock is of no use on these rifles.

Vlad

·
Registered
816 Posts
It is possible the barrel was replaced by the Turks but it may be possible it wasn't and the original barrel is still there. If that is the case, firing surplus 8mm Mauser is not recommended. Judging by the pictures, it looks like the barrel was replaced. To be safe, I would disassemble the rifle and take a shot of the barrel and post it, that will tell us if it is the Turkish replaced heavier step barrel.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty sure its the heavier replacement barrel. It is stepped, and also looks brand spanking new, never been fired type of look.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You should be okay then. I have never fired surplus 8mm Mauser ammo in any of my rifles, even my Gewehr 88 (surplus ammo for 8mm Mauser is very expensive up here) so I can't say it will work properly for you. One thing I should mention that I have read about before is that the firing pin on the Gewehr 88 bolt may not have enough striking force on the hard surplus ammo primers. The other reason is the corrosive properties of the primers themselves and the clean up job you will be in for afterwards. I fire surplus 7.62x39mm in my SKS 45 and boy what a clean up job it is after just 50 rounds.

If you do take her out, let us know how she shoots.

·
Administrator
9,610 Posts
Despite what someone above has said,
A M88/05/35 Turk has a completely NEW barrel, configured to proper (.323) 7,9x57 IS ammo.
The original Kommission Gew88 Barrel was Tapered, the M88/05/35 barrel is stepped, just like all the other Turkish Mauser barrels.

The Butt Ferrule is still useful in dismantling the M88/05/35 Bolt, even if not for spring compression as used for M1903/30 and M98 etc. type bolts.
One still has to unscrew against Pring pressure with a M88 Bolt.

Whilst the Bolt design in all the 88s is the same, the M1888/05/35 bolts are usually ZB replacement Bolts from the 1920s, as many of the Gew88/05s at the end of WW I were "demilitarised" by removing and "loosing" the Bolts. Turkey's first contract with ZB in 1922-24 was for M88 Bolts (First version) as replacement parts ( Turkish numerals and "Z in circle" on Handle.)

If you have a good bore rifle, by all means use Commercial (underpowered) US ammo; or Romanian Steel cased; these are suitable for these old actions ( G88 made 1889-1897); some of the Turk surplus and YUGO/Portuguese/ others will be a bit to "Hot" for the G88 action.

Hand load by all means, and use moderate loads. trewat the Old girl with repsect...her Heart has served the German Empire (peace and War; the Turkish Empire (War, civil war, and Republican peace) and now has come down to you...after over 100 years in some sort of service. Treat with respect...and have her serve, moderately, for another 100 years. ( Hopefully in Peace, but if necessary, again in War..... Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum! ( if you wish for Peace, be prepared for War ( Vegetius, Roman Military Historian, aboth 4th cent. CE)

Doc AV'
AV Ballistics.
Hoplos Turkophilus.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I took her out yesterday and shot a total of 11 rounds of Canadian manufacture MM stamped non-corrosive through her... Loved it, shot great, had a blast. Took her home, cleaned her, and admired from afar... ha ha

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What would the proper sling and bayonet be for this rifle? Where could I find these?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts