Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Cross posted from the K98kforum)

"I decided to create a profile today and make some worthwhile contributions to a forum that has helped me immensely in my research over the past four years and to properly archive my collection online."

My example of a Gewehr 98 for review.

Manufacturer: Waffenfabrik Mauser A-G Oberndorf A/N

Year: 1916

Receiver SN: 6132c
Barrel SN: 6132c
Front sight SN: 32
Rear sight SN: 32
Sight Slider SN: 32
Ejector box SN: 32
Trigger Sear SN: 32
Front barrel band SN: 32
Rear barrel band SN: 32
Trigger guard SN: 6132
Trigger guard screws SN: 32, Unmarked
Floor Plate SN: 32
Follower SN: 32
Stock SN: 6132
Handguard SN: 6132
Buttplate SN: 6132
Bayonet lug SN: 32
Bolt body SN: 6132c
Extractor SN: 32
Safety SN: 32
Cocking piece SN: 32
Bolt sleeve SN: 32
Firing pin SN: 32
Cleaning Rod SN: 15

Of note, the firing pin has been clipped on this example. I've read that this could be indicative of a bring back rifle but I will leave that up to everyone here. I would also like to thank a fellow board member for helping me source an Imperial German cleaning rod for my Gew 98.

Musical instrument Wood Wind instrument Air gun Office supplies

Wood Twig Metal Natural material Fashion accessory

Musical instrument Wind instrument Wood Shotgun Air gun

Wood Twig Beige Metal

Rim Bicycle part Household hardware Auto part Gas

Musical instrument Wood Varnish Metal Fashion accessory

Natural material Wood Cylinder Metal Musical instrument

Bicycle part Rim Auto part Metal Wood

Brown Wood Natural material Wood stain Plank

Wood Natural material Tool Tints and shades Wood stain

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely nifty Gewehr! No expert, but very few seem to be all matching as yours! I'm impressed and happy for your find!
Thanks for sharing!
Best!
John
I appreciate the comment John! I'm looking forward to contributing more posts here on Gun Boards, I just have to get around to properly photographing my collection.
Walker

·
Registered
166 Posts
gorgeous rifle, why not just grab a rando spare firing pin and get her running again? Mauser 98 parts are as common as anything.

Could perhaps find a way to recreate the tip of the firing pin too but that would likely be more pain than its worth.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
gorgeous rifle, why not just grab a rando spare firing pin and get her running again? Mauser 98 parts are as common as anything.

Could perhaps find a way to recreate the tip of the firing pin too but that would likely be more pain than its worth.
Not really. There are a number of folks who can easily retip the firing pin. OP, shoot me a message if you want the contact info of someone who would do a great job fixing the firing pin.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Clipped firing pin not typical of a vet bring back, but the war bond rifles usually had the pin clipped, and sometimes maybe the bore plugged. I have heard of the plugs being removed from some. The war bond rifle promotion were captured German rifles given to folks that purchased a certain level of bonds. Could also just be the pin broke from use. In any case, a very nice find!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts