Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need help identifying my gew 98 unit disk marking.

B.13. R.

I've done some research and I think it could be one of these two regiments but I could be wrong.

Bavarian 13th infantry regiment Franz Josef I
or
Bavarian 13th Reserve Infantry Regiment

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Vince

Brown Wood Currency Money Coin
Cylinder Household hardware Nickel Tints and shades Metal

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I think you have it. The second is the correct name. The cursive R indicates reserve. Please post more pictures. We would all like to share in your good fortune. I think the 1913 Oberndorf made GEW 98 rifles are rather scarce. Is it matching?
Regards
Dan

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,943 Posts
The R in your unit mark is not italic, so it does not mean Reserve. It indicates Bavarian 13th Infantry Regiment but it lacks the Company number and the weapon number. I am guessing that means that the rifle was accepted into regimental supply and so marked, but unit marks were discontinued before it was issued to a Company. I do not recall the date on which unit markings were discontinued. From the 1913 date of the rifle, I am guessing that would have been around 1913-1914.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I was looking at the rear leg of the R which looks cursive to me but I know your eyes are better than mine.
Dan

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,943 Posts
I was looking at the rear leg of the R which looks cursive to me but I know your eyes are better than mine.
Dan
The rear leg of the R is straight, the same as the B. The marking for reserve has a slanted rear leg, like this: R
Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you have it. The second is the correct name. The cursive R indicates reserve. Please post more pictures. We would all like to share in your good fortune. I think the 1913 Oberndorf made GEW 98 rifles are rather scarce. Is it matching?
Regards
Dan
I will defiantly make a post about it with pictures etc. I just bought the rifle a few weeks ago and as Australian law goes, it will be about a few months before I bring it home. As far as I can tell from pictures myself, the previous owner told me everything was matching except the bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts