Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that these rifles could mount a variety of bayonets.I also understand that the originals are very pricey.Does anyone know any source for the sawback or butcher blade repro bayonets or any other repro bayonets for the Gewehr 98?Thanx for any info:)-Gearhead

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Really the bayonets are not that pricey. Sure if like new and sawback the sellers tend to want an arm and a leg. But let's get real here as 98/05's & 84/98's sawbacks are at every gun show I have been at and ebay is usually loaded with them.
Anyhow you can find a myriad of decent variant imperial german bayonets for under $100 still. The repo ersatz and the repo 98/05 sawbacks I have seen were really garbage.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I agree with Bill. You can pick up a decent butcher blade on eBay at a reasonable price. The sawbacks tend to run more expensive. I picked up on eBay a decent 1901 FW Holler Solingen Butcher blade for under $60.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watching E-Bay right now....

and here's what I see (all are Butcher blade):
$36.00- 1 day 21h
$49.00- 3 day 21 hr
$71.00- 1 day 19H
$79,99- 2 day 22h
$131.50-3 day 20 h

The Brazilian 08 look alot cheaper-Will these still fit a Gew. 98 even though they have the barrel ring on the hilt?Thanx-Gearhead

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
No , the braz '08 poker will not fit a german rifle....small "shank" lug for starters.
And to Red : there is no such thing as a 1901 dated 98/05 butcher as they did not come out until 1905.
So you must be talking about a S98 "quillback"...right ?.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Pretty sure Holler didn't do the Sg98? Probably a date error, seen 1915-1917 fairly regular, Carter said 1918 exist (not seen one yet..); I doubt a pre-war exists from Holler, they (pre-wars) are fairly scarce except for Erfurt jobs which are tough price wise as many are sawbacks or sport keen unit markings..

No , the braz '08 poker will not fit a german rifle....small "shank" lug for starters.
And to Red : there is no such thing as a 1901 dated 98/05 butcher as they did not come out until 1905.
So you must be talking about a S98 "quillback"...right ?.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
All the repro bayonets I've seen were in the $75 range, and you're not going much higher than that for a real one. I'd check ebayonet.com & see what his prices are. Ebay prices tend to push the envelope, as your market is in the millions... If you have any gun or militaria shows nearby I'd check them before I bought as well. You could ask on the bayonet forum what the most common makers & years are, to get a better idea of what reasonable prices are. I bought a 98/05 3 yrs ago at a show for $90(and a s98 in the mid eighties for $15). Watch out, bayonet collecting can be as addictive as rifle collecting (I'm two German 1871 bayonets short of having all my rifles properly attired, with only a dozen extra bayonets!).

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
If you're simply after something to fit on the end of your rifle the turked (shortened) 98/05 butcher blades are not very pricey. Also some of the more common ersatz bayonets can be had at reasonable prices, if full lenght they will be correct for your WWI rifle too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx guys!

Appreciate the quick feedback!EBay prices are pretty crazy for the Imperial Germany ones.I also don't want a repro,as I understand that they are made out of stamped sheetmetal and pretty flimsy.Think that I will check the local gun shows with Gew. 98 in hand-John

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
Look for the distinctive guard and look for a crown-letter-date on the back of the blade right by the guard. If the letter is a B, those tend to be worth more.

Sharpened is obviously worth less, though if it's got pitting over the sharpening (from firing corrosive ammo with the bayo fixed) it's not so bad. A number/letter combo on the guard is desireable, as that's regimental markings.

All of mine except one I've bought for under sixty bucks here and there from junk bins and the corner of vendors tables.

And those really cheap/common Vz-24 bayonets should fit a Gew98 if you don't care too much about correctness and just want something pointy.

·
Registered
984 Posts
and here's what I see (all are Butcher blade):
$36.00- 1 day 21h
$49.00- 3 day 21 hr
$71.00- 1 day 19H
$79,99- 2 day 22h
$131.50-3 day 20 h

The Brazilian 08 look alot cheaper-Will these still fit a Gew. 98 even though they have the barrel ring on the hilt?Thanx-Gearhead

Yes, it gets crazy but sometimes it pays off to sit and watch, specially if several blades are selling at the same time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally bought one!

A 1915 Butcher Blade with scabbard (sharpened) via EBay.IMA's repro sells for $100.00 plus shipping and my local C&R dealers sells his repro's for $130.00!I saw a Butcher Blade WITHOUT the scabbard and WITH rust sell for $103.00 recently!Crazy!Anyway,I'm glad that I got the correct bayonet for my rifle.Am thinking of having the file sharpened edge properly sharpened at a knife shop,as I cannot replace the removed metal-Gearhead-PS-Mine does not have the fire guard over the hilt,but I don't plan on firing the gun with the bayonet fixed.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
As your rifle is a Gewehr 98 the abscence of the flashguard is no problem at all. When these bayonets were only used with the Gew 98 there was no need for a flashguard as the muzzle protrudes beyond the crossguard. So, they were made without flashguards as your bayonet was (is it a high ear one?). When more and more Kar 98 were used the problems started. The barrel of the Karabiner ends over the grips and the grips were damaged by the muzzle blast, and that is why they started making the bayonets with flashguards. 1915 was the last year when these were made without flashguards.

So, fire away, even with fixed bayonet.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
...................Am thinking of having the file sharpened edge properly sharpened at a knife shop...................
Yo Gearhead222,

If you want to protect the collector value of ANY bayonet, DO NOT have it sharpened nor should you sharpen it yourself. All you will do is reduce the value for future sale.

If you want to cut onions, use a kitchen knife! Just speaking from experience here.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
8,094 Posts
I'll third the recommendation by JPS and Todd A, while it may not be pretty, the sharpening seen on some bayonets may not be pretty but having it "properly" sharpened will only require more metal removal and it will not help the value. Some bayonets were touched up by soldiers not qualified to do the work.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
Just to point out, I found a sharpened bayonet that had pitting on the sharpened surface from corrosive ammo being fired with the bayo fixed. Remember period sharpening is not a bad thing, because it's explained by provenance. Somebody with a whetstone in the garage IS bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts