Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,305 Posts
It is certainly not a perfect example, but then again it is 106 years old and they aren't making them anymore. A few years ago I was on the hunt for a Gew98 and had a dickens of a time finding one that hadn't been messed with in one way or the other. I wound up paying $800 for a 1916 DWM that is all matching except for the bolt sleeve. Mine has certainly seen some use but as I pointed out, most WWI era Gewher 98's have been around the block a few dozen times.

$1000 may be the new norm for one in the condition that one id in.

I paid 600.00 for my import marked 1917 Mauser Oberndorf 2 months ago. Glad I scooped it up at that price.

Now if we go back 26 years ago, I paid 150.00 for my import marked 1917 Kornbusch & Co GEW98........how cheap G98's were back then........

· Registered
6,305 Posts
It is all matching… My impression is that the stock has been cleaned- remnants of the cartouches appear to be there. Finish looks to be in good shape?
As Ive learned in my search- the unfortunate reality is that prices have gone up for these matching examples- turk’d examples seem to be fairly stable at the $6-$700 range. Watching those Lock Stock and Barrel auctions- make me think $1200 is a great deal! Ha!

What constitutes a (Turk'ed) example? ....anything besides a crescent moon on the receiver?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts