Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some additional opinions on this gewehr 98. It is made by DWM in Berlin in 1916. Butt plate, barrel, receiver, mag plate, stock all match. No import marks. Seller is asking $950. Wanting to pull the trigger but the pitting on the barrel bothers me. Bolt and magazine plate dont seem to match.
Outerwear Wood Textile Sleeve Dress shirt

Brown Sleeve Bag Wood Shotgun

Wood Automotive tire Tints and shades Metal Auto part

Bicycle part Office supplies Metal Cylinder Rim

Gadget Audio equipment Gas Nail Skateboard deck

Automotive tire Wood Tints and shades Rim Font

Wood Cylinder Publication Tints and shades Gas

Revolver Tints and shades Gadget Everyday carry Metal

Musical instrument Product Musical instrument accessory Wood Tints and shades

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Air gun Rim Trigger

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It is all matching… My impression is that the stock has been cleaned- remnants of the cartouches appear to be there. Metal finish looks to be in good shape?
As Ive learned in my search- the unfortunate reality is that prices have gone up for these matching examples- turk’d examples seem to be fairly stable at the $6-$700 range. Watching those Lock Stock and Barrel auctions- make me think $1200 is a great deal! Ha!

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What constitutes a (Turk'ed) example? ....anything besides a crescent moon on the receiver?
Crescent yes. Also… If the rifle has a turkey import mark- in my mind that is a turk rifle. Not Turkish made but in Turkish service. I believe most 1917 Oberndorf 98’s went to Turkey. Mine did but didnt have turkish markings

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Bore pics from the first example- despite the pitting on the outside, inside doesnt look that bad. Plenty bright and strong grooves. Looks like maybe one visible pit
Eye Flash photography Iris Water Circle

Eye Eyelash Art Electric blue Circle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts