Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I was browsing my favorite pawn shop just a few days ago and spotted an entirely matching 1916 JP Sauer & Sohn Gew. 98. Its been neglected for a very long time and needs a good bath but I believe it will clean up fairly well.

Is it just me but do these things seem more difficult to find than K98s?
Anyone know what these guns normally sell for? I gave him 400 bucks out the door.

I'll have to post some pics soon.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hello Kurz. Gew 98's aren't very common in New England. When I do see a really nice one they're around 1,000 to 1,200. I did see one all matching, mint condition with sling and Butcher bayonet for $2,000! They are one of my favorites. I have a matching 1915 that I paid $650 for a couple years back. I hope yours cleans up well!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I'm about to head out to work for the night I'll have to post the pics tomorrow. Its pretty rough in appearance but I couldn't pass up a matching rifle and these old mausers just "speak" to me. Off topic but I ran into an Argentine 1909 the other day, too, and picked that up. The quality of what the old military rifles was held to just blows my mind. Those things were/are works of art but yet meant for use and abuse in a battlefield:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only Gew.98 I've ever seen at a shop was all matching, but Bubba got a hold of it and bent the bolt. It still sold for $800. You got a fine deal on yours.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
"Entirely matching" (and original) would be a great score, JPS rifles are one of the hardest Gew.98's to find "matching & original", actually all of the Suhl makers are damn tough. They seem to have been used more, whereas the arsenals often can be found nice & matching, the sub-contractors not so much, especially the Suhl makers, - S&S, VCS, CGH & Simson.

The key issue is "originality" and whether it is factory matching or rework matching. Though at $400 it is unlikely you did badly, most decent m/m Gew.98's are worth $300-400 or more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.