1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
12,058 Posts
I knew before clicking but I'm apparently a glutton for punishment. :mad

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,481 Posts
That's why they make repro slings. In rare cases I may pay a price approaching or even exceeding the rifle price for a bayonet needed to go with a rifle - but there is no way I am going to pay a price for a sling that is approaching the rifle price. It is too easy and too affordable to get a very similar old sling or a repro.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
This is why I collect guns and bayonets but don't "collect" slings or holsters even though I like to have them with the weapon. Leather seems to have an expiration date, and gets cruddy long before that date so it looks better and you don't lose as much money if you just go with repros.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,481 Posts
It was sold on a grey blanket.
Yes, that gray blanket came from an old Native American Shaman. It has mystical powers and has been known to triple the selling price.

Regards,
Bill

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,748 Posts
I think you Gents have just seen a typically priced period Gew 98 sling. All things considered, the price is pretty much where I would have expected it to. I sold several slings over the years and as long as 10 years ago I sold two example like this in good condition for $225 each. Prices have been steadily rising over the past ten years. I would by no means expect that this price was out of line.

For this reason, I don't collect them either. I have several examples that were acquired along with a rifles and the examples I sold were picked up for very low prices at a Belgian militaria show when I was working for a company whose headquarters are in Brussels. I resold them at home to help fund another purchase.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread, only a discussion of the price. JPS, I tend to lean toward the realized price as more indicative of online auctions than all slings being able to sell for this price. At the Tulsa show you could probably get 200, perhaps 225. I wouldn't count on it though!

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,748 Posts
Could be?.......Like I said, I sold two slings years ago for $225 each and would be surprised if prices haven't increased since then? But I don't have a dog in this hunt, so don't sweat it. ;>)

·
8,105 Posts
I think you Gents have just seen a typically priced period Gew 98 sling. All things considered, the price is pretty much where I would have expected it to. I sold several slings over the years and as long as 10 years ago I sold two example like this in good condition for $225 each. Prices have been steadily rising over the past ten years. I would by no means expect that this price was out of line.

For this reason, I don't collect them either. I have several examples that were acquired along with a rifles and the examples I sold were picked up for very low prices at a Belgian militaria show when I was working for a company whose headquarters are in Brussels. I resold them at home to help fund another purchase.

Warmest regards,

JPS
I have to agree with John, prices on slings - original slings - will continue to rise. It used to be that owners would throw them out, they were so common and, due to age, made the nice rifle in their collection look ratty so they didn't want them. Besides, it was useless since it was obviously no good and they couldn't use the sling to carry the rifle. Things are different now, collectors want original slings to go on their rifles and they are no longer common, quite the opposite. Frankly, I wouldn't pay that price but it is obvious that there are people that will. Prices on everything are going up. Gew98s used to sell for as little as $75 and correct bayonets for them sold for $25 or less........

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My last unattached G. 98 sling brought $300 at a show and that was a few years ago. I brought a rare G. 98 with original sling to show an advanced Mauser collector at the last Tulsa show and ended-up keeping both under the table to limit handling. These slings have become as expensive as decent examples for Civil War muskets.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The sling that sold for$369 in my opinion is not in that great of condition to warrant the price it sold for. Recently at the Pomona CA Militaria show someone had a number of K98 slings for sale for around $100 each. And that is normally what they sell for in my part of the woods. BTW the sling on my duv41 is in mint condition compared to the one here. Who knows maybe I'm out of touch too with the current market.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Even K. 98 slings are now 70+ years old and most G. 98 slings are at the century mark, agewise. Like much else manufactured in Europe during late WWII, the quality of most late Mauser slings was such that they dried out quickly and broke easily. During the 50s and 60s 98K slings on the loose were scarce because several militaries were still using them. $100 is about right for one around here and they're usually pretty tired at that price. I no longer sell nice ones. My 1915 98 AZ has its original sling still in serviceable condition but I haven't seen a genuine example of that sling in years.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.