Gunboards Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1231 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to detail the b/r further! If only others would take this much interest we'd know more I think.. most its pulling teeth to get a serial needless to say a barrel code!
The balance of the rearsight (the sleeve is original to the barrel, as might the other e/6 part possibly) has later mismatched parts on it, and they are easy enough to remove (than the sleeve) hence they probably were by some country post war, the P74 is a later acceptance than Simson's existence, 34-35 Mauser as I recall, 34 for sure..)

Anyway, thanks again!
You're welcome!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm baaaaaaack! Bet you thought you were through with me.

I forgot to ask you a very basic question. You keep mentioning barrel codes and I keep forgetting to ask you exactly what you mean (I'm old; you'd be surprised how often that excuse works).

In my case, is that the Simson triangle; the "K27S" or simply the manufacturers name? Thanks, and I'll let you alone (until I find another rifle).

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Simson logo I would associate with the barrel “maker”, - the barrel code K27S the barrel blank provider/lot; usually one associates a date to these codes but I don't believe so as this is the typical set up and though in your case "27" indicating 1927 fits nicely, - though in many other cases it doesn't.. seen several much higher numbered- just yesterday a friend pointed me to a K38S which would be quite impossible for Simson as the Simon brothers were one of the few fortunate Jews to get out of Germany very early and by 1938 were probably skinny-dipping at Venice Beach? By 1938 Simson Suhl no longer existed so I discount the repeated thoughts these are date indicators and rather are steel lot numbers? (K=Krupp? A known/popular barrel blank provider Imperial era, though the IMKK had their microscope up Krupps backside 1922-27 as likely as any?)
Meaning unclear but I am recording them as best as I can! Documenting Simson products isn't easy, and they generally seem to have random markings with no apparent pattern (typical enough for most German rifles) however it can't hurt to keep track!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Excellent contributions, - the 1910 Spandau is the first I have seen w/o issues apparently.. have two others, one a salvaged sterngewehr, KCN has them to the 'c' block but they didn't have a high survival rate apparently (so far); the 1907 across the board is well reported and observed, 5 imaged examples plus a couple reports like this one for Spandau.. Read somewhere that 1907 was a commitment year and they really upped the production that year (shows in observations too)
Spandau, not surprisingly because of its status in the German armaments industry is one of the most well observed amongst all the makers pre-war, we actually have at least 2 observations for each year 1899-1918 (though not all are products of that year- post war assemblies & sterngewehrs- there is also the issue of 1908, we have two reports, one even an image of dubious quality but very possibly Spandau did mfg that year? Everyone else did so why not Spandau? MG’s? Another subject I guess as I don’t know why MarkW left them off for 1908.. even tooling up for the MG08 would not have ended G98 production?)

Very interesting arsenal! Thanks for the reports- Peter if you have the opportunity perhaps a right receiver shot, like to document the acceptance on the receiver. I don't have a clear image of a 1910 Spandau's acceptance.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Also have a Mauser Oberndorf 1918 3940 L with Turk mark on receiver.
Kar98 Erfurt 1917 - 1920 6047 n All matching except the bolt. This rifle has PWB 1920 marked on the stock

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
VERY helpful! Different than I expected, though these do vary they also are often consistent in inspectors, - these are seen on others before and after but different locations- not sure it will lead anywhere but with enough examples maybe? Hopefully I can gather enough to find a pattern- or not?
The pre-wars are hardest to get 'original' acceptance markings for- much appreciated!

You know the barrel mfg/code? (got what I needed but just being greedy..)

here some pic's

if you need some others, please let it me know...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Very cool- I use to own 1917/20 Erfurt ser. 6047 n PwB, sold it a few years back.. very cool rifle! As I recall it had a Böhler barrel on it?
Pretty much done with collecting the 98a, use to be my focus of sorts (still collect the data though!), - Simson Suhl is my deal now, but that was a cool rifle no doubt!

Good to know it has a good home!

Also have a Mauser Oberndorf 1918 3940 L with Turk mark on receiver.
Kar98 Erfurt 1917 - 1920 6047 n All matching except the bolt. This rifle has PWB 1920 marked on the stock

·
Registered
342 Posts
VERY helpful! Different than I expected, though these do vary they also are often consistent in inspectors, - these are seen on others before and after but different locations- not sure it will lead anywhere but with enough examples maybe? Hopefully I can gather enough to find a pattern- or not?
The pre-wars are hardest to get 'original' acceptance markings for- much appreciated!

You know the barrel mfg/code? (got what I needed but just being greedy..)
I'll strip down the rifle in the next time, but it is a deactivated rifle, with holes at the down site of the barrel :-((((

So i hope the mfg/code is intact.

I bought the rifle because a pre-war rifle is not common here, too.

I have here a book who listed some inspector names to the markings depending on the combination of time & maker. If You send me your e-Mail adress, I'll send your a e-copy.

viele Gruesse

Peter

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Much appreciated, I have written a small piece on my Simson Suhl barrel blank observations and spent hours cataloging known/observable barrel blank contractors for the German commercial firms, - arsenals too- there seems to be a preponderance among the three big steel blank producers mentioned in Dr. Storz, Krupp of course, Böhler & Bismarckhütte too but there are others I believe too, we have a number of different suppliers and I have not identified them all- quite minimal liste compared to the Second World War production!

Any future contributors to this thread, it would be most appreciated if you’d consider doing top/right/left receiver shots, clear as possible, and the barrel code if you can? These and anything unusual- on some mfg the receivers under the woodline are important like Simson Suhl & the rest of the Suhl makers- but also DWM & Oberspree 1917-1919 acceptance as that is key to research being conducted by another collector that we hope will publish next issue.. won't give the details away as its simply too intriguing to ruin by going into but especially late 1918 DWM & Oberspree are VERY important to this study- the acceptance is most important here.

For the MRJ'r out there expect your issues soon! This is a Czech special, any Czech collectors won't want to miss- the front page should be up on the MRJ website tonight or tomorrow.

I'll strip down the rifle in the next time, but it is a deactivated rifle, with holes at the down site of the barrel :-((((

So i hope the mfg/code is intact.

I bought the rifle because a pre-war rifle is not common here, too.

I have here a book who listed some inspector names to the markings depending on the combination of time & maker. If You send me your e-Mail adress, I'll send your a e-copy.

viele Gruesse

Peter

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Very nice! Thanks again, for taking the time to make the observation. One of the hardest things to get as far as reliable data is the barrel codes and under the woodline observations as its difficult enough to convince a owner to image a rifle needless to disassemble it!

While working on my Simson barrel article I was shocked by the limited observations I was able to list in detail, I mean I thought I had significantly more than it turned out, and though I had 2x 3x more that were partials or obscured I couldn't use them generally.. it is very hard to make quality opinions without adequate data and even a database as substantial as mine currently is it is utterly inadequate in many respects.

I suppose its like anything, you develope the premise and what I had started out as simply a serial number extension to figure production, quickly became one to pattern acceptance, then to reworks & depots, and now to barrel blank contractors!

Anyway, thanks for the better than average contribution! Very helpful!

here it is...

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
1916 Oberndorf

Here are some images of my 1916 Oberndorf. All s/n's match and it still has the original sling with the quick release as well as the cleaning rod.

Husk

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Very good! I note the 'BS' on the sling m-buckle, might there be a 'BS' on the right barrel shoulder and or stock? Do an image of the right receiver & stock acceptance and let us know if it’s a 'BS'?

Very nice on another account, this is like 1000 rifles off the known high, very close! (Yours is somewhat better shape as the known confirmed high is a UK deact.. ) I really like it when I get another in support of the same high, as it confirms our data as a single 'high' that is improperly recorded really boinkers up a database as you discount other rifles simply because you already have a higher report. (why I like image confirmation, datasheet or multiple observations- especially with tricky letters like 'e')

Thanks for the report!

Here are some images of my 1916 Oberndorf. All s/n's match and it still has the original sling with the quick release as well as the cleaning rod.

Husk

41 - 60 of 1231 Posts