Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I was hoping someone could help me figure out what the marking is above the crown on my 1917 Spandau Gewehr98. It appears to be two or three letters interlocking with each other. I have done a fair amount of research on the markings and have not been able to find anything on this particular marking. Also the rifle does not have the original style sling swivel but has a replacement swivel. I have been told that another other than Germany installed the swivels post WW1 but I have no idea what that country might be. Any info anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,392 Posts
I believe the sling swivel may be Turkish. I have the same thing on a GEW 88 and also on my 1916 Oberndorf GEW 98 which was imported by Century and actually says " 8mm Turkey" faintly behind the rear sight, ahead of the receiver on the right hand side.
I believe the Turks took delivery of a number of rifles made in 1916-17, though I think I have seen it said that most were from Oberndorf.
Can't help you on the receiver marking...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Looks like a mark denoting a reboring of the barrel. Try a bullet test, see how loose one fits in the end of the bore.

This 1917 Spandau has the same thing, it swallows a bullet, but still shoots well.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Ah .... "reboring" ????. Previous to 1919 the imperial depot system when it did counterbore barrels at the muzzle applied a crown proof mark to the shoulder of the barrel on gew98's NOT the receiver. On gew88's this proof was applied to the receiver as there was no barrel shoulder exposed.
I can't tell you what this mark means but I can tell you it has zero to due with counterboring.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ah .... "reboring" ????. Previous to 1919 the imperial depot system when it did counterbore barrels at the muzzle applied a crown proof mark to the shoulder of the barrel on gew98's NOT the receiver. On gew88's this proof was applied to the receiver as there was no barrel shoulder exposed.
I can't tell you what this mark means but I can tell you it has zero to due with counterboring.

Ha, counterboring, where the hell did I come up with reboring? Anyway I was just going by what I was told when I first posted pictures of this gun. Good to know though, Bill. Does look similar to the counterboring mark, interesting that they're both 17 Spandaus.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
As Paul S. Has noted the "later" 1917 produced spandau made gew98's were mostly assembled as complete rifles outside of spandau at depot level. This marking may have something to due with such a depot system built spandau gewehr. I'd say a look at the actual serials and R/S of receiver and as well barrel proofs of these two rifles would give paul enough data to give you an answer or a damn good educated guess.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The serial number on mine is 6318. I will try to get a pic of the reciever proofs up tomorrow. Also, I don't think this rifle ever saw Turkish service because it does not have the Turkish crest, its not import marked and it has all matching numbers except for the bolt and handguard. It seems to me that it might have been a vet bring back, but that wouldn't explain the sling swivel.

·
Registered
822 Posts
My Kar98AZ has a weird receiver marking underneath the bore diameter and above the "1920" inventory stamp. I have no clue what it is or means.

My Gewehr 98 also has a similar rear sling swivel.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thanks Bill, I answered this question on the thread I maintain in this forum, hope it helps? Thanks for the confidence in my helping on this tricky topic:

scroll to post 445

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?p=1137819#post1137819

As Paul S. Has noted the "later" 1917 produced spandau made gew98's were mostly assembled as complete rifles outside of spandau at depot level. This marking may have something to due with such a depot system built spandau gewehr. I'd say a look at the actual serials and R/S of receiver and as well barrel proofs of these two rifles would give paul enough data to give you an answer or a damn good educated guess.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took some pics of the right side of the receiver and the markings on the underside of the receiver and barrel. Also the bottom of the receiver ring is marked with a horse and rider over the word "Bayard" which I have been told means that the steel was supplied by Anziens Establishments "Pieper of Heestel" (Belgium). Hope the pics are good enough, if not I will try to take better ones.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That is the monogram "MW" of the Mauser Werke. This marking is found on many component parts of Mauser pistols and commercial rifles.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Your right receiver 2nd and 3rd acceptance are Mauser Oberndorf acceptance, just as I outlined in the link I posted above we now have "2" rifles with this marking and that carry MO acceptance.

I think this is very good proof that Mauser Oberndorf assembled the 4 rifles known with this marking.

You have a 1917 Spandau receiver (sub-contracted from Pieper) assembled in 1917 by Mauser Oberndorf.

Pieper did not supply the steel, they provided the receiver. (they cooperated with the German authorities extensively during the war- unlike FN, who paid for it)

I took some pics of the right side of the receiver and the markings on the underside of the receiver and barrel. Also the bottom of the receiver ring is marked with a horse and rider over the word "Bayard" which I have been told means that the steel was supplied by Anziens Establishments "Pieper of Heestel" (Belgium). Hope the pics are good enough, if not I will try to take better ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts