Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Gold Bullet member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've heard of s.,z and n.m. markings on 88's but how about v.? This appears on a '91 date Danzig rifle (under the 98 of the unit marking). Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks & best regards,
Len

· Gold Bullet member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andy,
Good to hear from you. I don't see any other markings on it that might suggest Czech ownership. Did the Czechs use a lot of these ? Have a Merry Christmas.

Best regards,
Len

· Registered
6,133 Posts
Hello Len, czechoslovak owned for Guards only for short time any G98, some of there was probably G88, but i dont know about using later, maybe the unit could bring more info? is near czechoslovak border?
best wishes to You.best regards,Andy

· Gold Bullet member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Andy, The unit marking indicates a regiment from Metz in the province of Lorraine which is fairly distant from the old Czech Republic. The Metzer Infanterie-Regiment Nr.98 took part in the Battle of Meuse-Argonne against the Yanks. It might be a real bringback.

Best regards,
Len

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Len S

That is a really interesting siderail regimental. Is your Gew 88 matching? If yes, what are the regimentals on the other two bands?

I was looking in Jeff Noll's book, and really don't see a match for this one. What is it?

98th. Regt.Ersatz.Depot.4th Komp. 44th waffe = 98.R.E.D.4.44.

Is this your take on the meaning. Cool regimental!

Geo

· Gold Bullet member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi George,
The only other regimental is a cancelled one on the lower band 136.R.R.252.(4. Lothringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.136).They were headquartered at Strasbourg in Alsace. This rifle apparently migrated from one of the disputed provinces to the other. I agree with your reading of the 98th's unit marking. All the metal parts on the rifle match however the stock is internally marked with a different #. Here are some pics.

Best regards,
Len

· Registered
6,133 Posts
Nice piece certainly as both regimentals are from Alcace it could be a french stamp? or other post war stamp, by reworked or replaced barell it could be a acceptance stamp, but it would be visible. is not this case. best regards,Andy

· Banned
729 Posts
This 'v.' marking could be an in-house Danzig marking to signify something, or possibly a depot applied marking. I have a '90 Danzig with a 's:' marking on the siderail in the same location (see first image). This one is depot matching, has the bolt serial overstamped to match. I have a friend with another '90 Danzig (d block) that has 'e:' on the siderail.

FYI, Danzig Gew98's are known for having random unknown letters within the rightside receiver inspection markings (see second image), and the '90 Danzig in the first image has a random 'n' in this location.

Also, the period following your 'a' suffix letters can be indicative of a period reworking, I have noted reworked Imperial and TR era arms using this (no clue as to meaning, it just shows up on some period reworks).

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi George,
The only other regimental is a cancelled one on the lower band 136.R.R.252.(4. Lothringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.136).They were headquartered at Strasbourg in Alsace. This rifle apparently migrated from one of the disputed provinces to the other. I agree with your reading of the 98th's unit marking. All the metal parts on the rifle match however the stock is internally marked with a different #. Here are some pics.

Best regards,
Len
Len

That is a super 88! I have two that match, but not as lucky as you with a matching bolthead too!

Both units have recruit / training regimentals. Both in Alsace-Lorraine region. I wonder what arsenal did the repair work for the units of this region?

I have a Gew 88/05 1895 Danzig. It has an X stamped on the side rail to the far left of the Gew. 88 stamp in the identical place as Len & madboy's rifles. I have never found a meaning for this stamp as of yet.

Geo

· Registered
342 Posts
Len S

That is a really interesting siderail regimental. Is your Gew 88 matching? If yes, what are the regimentals on the other two bands?

I was looking in Jeff Noll's book, and really don't see a match for this one. What is it?

98th. Regt.Ersatz.Depot.4th Komp. 44th waffe = 98.R.E.D.4.44.

Is this your take on the meaning. Cool regimental!

Geo
Geo,

i think you are right. In the book "Handbuch deutsche Waffenstempel" is the meaning oft "R. E. D." exact that what you said... only their are no "kompanies" in the examples...

Peter

· Registered
84 Posts
Len: I greatly appreciate your starting this thread and bringing these markings to our attention. I would note that in my collection I have an 1890 Danzig produced Gew 88 with a "Y." stamped to the lower left of a "E.20.94." regimental marking positioned to the left of "Gew.88." on the left receiver rail.

In following these postings and other comments by George appearing in the Commission Rifle forum, I am interested in preparing a short not on these markings for submiossion to The Military Rifle Journal. Might I have your permission to use the photograph in your lead posting in such an article? I have no doubt that these marks would be of interest to a wider audience.

· Gold Bullet member
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Len: ...Might I have your permission to use the photograph in your lead posting in such an article? I have no doubt that these marks would be of interest to a wider audience.
Sure thing Plevna go right ahead. Thanks to everyone for chiming in per my query.

Best regards,
Len

· Registered
84 Posts
Madboy357: Greetings from Louisville right down the river from you! I am currently preparing a short article for submission to "The Military Rile Journal" on the topic of supplemental side rail markings on Danzig produced Gew 88 rifles. Might I have your permission to use your photograph of the Danzig receiver for inclusion with this article? Based upon the information I have thus far compiled, the known letters used for these marks include: “E”; “K”; “M”; “O” (or zero); “P”; “S”; “V”; “X”, and “Y”. Numbers include "6" and "8". I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks! -- Plevna

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.