Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired what I believe is called a G98M and would appreciate any information about it. It is a 1917 Danzig with no 1920 property stamp, an added Ss sight and intertwined BS on stock and barrel ring. With the exception of a mismatched bolt the rifle is completely matching. I would like to know when the sight was added and identity of stamps on barrel band. Thanks. Pictures follow.
G98BSa.jpg G98BSb.jpg G98BSc.jpg G98BSd.jpg G98BSe.jpg

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
That is an awsome looking 98M! The rear sight was made at Mauser in 1935 (S/42G), and the markings on the barrel band indicate the band was produced or inspected by the depot at Berlin-Spandau ("Su") in 1937. Assuming the rear band was not replaced in a later repair, it is likely the modifications were done around 1937 or 1938. That the rear band is Spandau marked does not neccessarily mean the work was done at Spandau. The two eagles on the wrist are however the acceptance of the depot that did the modifications and/or repairs sometime in the late 1930s. The first one might start with an "H" so possibly Hannover ('Hr')? I cannot make out the letters on the second eagle.

As for the BS, that is much harder to answer. Very length discussion here: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?1264-Intertwined-BS-marking-question

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The only questions that can be answered with these pictures is that your wide rear band was made by HZa Spandau in 1937 and the rear sight sleeve was made by Mauser Oberndorf in 1935, both parts were made for the ordnance system so that the ordnance depots could upgrade Gewehr98's to sS patrone and provide a better bearing surface for the sling position. Neither marking tells you when the work was done, though obviously the parts couldn't have been installed before they were made. The intertwined "BS" has nothing to do with the upgrade, it was applied much earlier.

If you really want answers, you will have to be bold with the pictures. The questions you are asking would require providing pictures of the top and left side of the receiver, the the markings on the barrel (preferably all markings, including under the stock, it is probably the original barrel but to be sure I would have to see pictures of how it is marked and fireproofs), markings found on the rear sight and really clear and sharp pictures of the ordnance stamps on the wrist (your 5th picture).

If you can do these pictures, I can answer your questions.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes, Ryan is correct of course. I was working on two threads and piddling while he posted.

That is an awsome looking 98M! The rear sight was made at Mauser in 1935 (S/42G), and the markings on the barrel band indicate the band was produced or inspected by the depot at Berlin-Spandau ("Su") in 1937. Assuming the rear band was not replaced in a later repair, it is likely the modifications were done around 1937 or 1938. That the rear band is Spandau marked does not neccessarily mean the work was done at Spandau. The two eagles on the wrist are however the acceptance of the depot that did the modifications and/or repairs sometime in the late 1930s. The first one might start with an "H" so possibly Hannover ('Hr')? I cannot make out the letters on the second eagle.

As for the BS, that is much harder to answer. Very length discussion here: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?1264-Intertwined-BS-marking-question

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information. Photos of barrel follow. I did not photograph the top of the receiver since it only has the crown/DANZIG/1917. I was unable to improve on the photo of the wrist markings, however, the top eagle (next to the trigger guard) is very lightly struck and I can see no lettering below it; under the lower eagle it appears to have "SU 71."
G98M-h.jpg G98M-g.jpg G98M-f.jpg

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Well, the stock looks like it is the factory stock, can't make out the acceptance clearly but the wrist acceptance is typical of this range, as is the features of the stock, walnut is intermittent but fairly common in the late 1917 ranges and this one has grips and the take down. More pictures would help but the stock is probably the original stock. The barrel certainly is.

Looks like an exceptional upgraded Gewehr98, few have so many original parts, and while you do not show all the parts I assume most are like the barrel and stock, or at least it goes to reason that if the stock is original much of the balance is.

The tricky part is the depot markings, it probably passed through two depots in a short period of time, the two depot acceptance are probably not related, can't read one though it might be E/H? or something another, if the other is E/Su71 then that would be HZa Spandau, this acceptance is recorded but not commonly seen. No other use of this acceptance (Su71) has been recorded by me, but MarkW recorded it in his work on HZa Spandau.

The only obvious work done was the refinishing (bluing of the metal) upgraded rear sight and wide rear band, perhaps more was done, or sometimes rifles were upgraded earlier and then again after 1929. No way to tell with these pictures though, but it is clear that the rifle went through a depot late in the 1930's, but it very possibly did so earlier (seems likely this rifle was not in general service before 1930 or so). If you are curious about this, you might take more pictures, especially of the rear sight and smaller components, especially if the serialing looks off. A really clear picture of the right side of the stock (the acceptance under the cypher) and along the bottom of the buttstock, would help to determine if this is the factory stock, but I think it probably is (which is a big plus, probably the best thing going for the rifle)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you again for the information and your patience with a newbie. I would say that the stock is original based on the serial number in the barrel channel and under the hand guard (see photo). The stock may not be walnut, it has been stained and is a more blonde color with the stain removed with denatured alcohol. Cleaning the stock has revealed more marks and clarified others: the SU71 on the wrist may be SU11 and the upper eagle does have at least one character below, perhaps a capital "K". The bottom of the butt is marked "GU" near the butt plate, then towards the sling mount, the serial number, then another eagle over SU58 (see photo). Photos of sight included.
KFS
G98M-stock1.jpg G98M-butt1.jpg G98M-sight1.jpg

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes, I agree it is the original stock, some of the acceptance stamps match known Danzig rifles in this range and clearly it is a factory assembled stock (cypher) that has never been salvaged. It is walnut BTW.

All of the Su/## markings represent inspectors at HZa Spandau, the rifle passed through there obviously, probably most of the work being done there. Possibly the higher acceptance on the wrist, "eagle/H?" marking, is another depot it passed through, but considering the rifle has so little done to it, no way to tell what was done where. Considering the rifles condition, so many original parts (which is unusual) and its late parts, the rifle was probably hidden throughout much of the interwar period. Quite a few were, - most rifles in German hands in 1918 were destroyed between 1919-1924, but a small percentage (mere thousands out of millions) were hidden in original configuration and subsequently upgraded during the early rearmament phases. There even exist a few Gewehr98's which have interwar markings but never upgraded or blued, a few EWB marked rifles most notably.

Anyway, quite a nice rifle, glad you decided to take a few pictures of it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts