Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1916 Spanddau from a fellow who said he got it in the 1960's from a friend who brought it back from France. All the major parts match but some of the smaller ones like the barrel bands and one of the sight parts are mismatched. One part I question is the front guard screw. It has the three cutouts for the lock screw while the rear guide screw has only one and carries the last two digets of the serial number. I think the front screw is possibly a later replacement as I understand this is a post WWI type. Am I correct or could this have been replaced during WWI.

As a sideline I am somewhat of a history buff and since the seller had the full name of the man who gave him the rifle I looked up his history through our state historical society. The vet who had the rifle told the seller he was an airplane mechanic in WWI and after one of the battles he and a friend got a ride to the site of a recent battle to look around and found the rifle on the battleground and he sent it home. I think his story checks out. His military record indicates he left for France in Feb. 1918 and returned in May, 1919 and served with the 658 Aero Squadron. How nice it would be to talk to some of these men.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,541 Posts
Congrats on a great Gew98! It sounds like a neat rifle with wonderful provenance.

It's not import marked is it? That would put the wammy on the history.

That guard screw does sound like a replacement to me. This could have easily been accomplished here in the states, if the original was lost or damaged.

Post some pics - we'd love to see her.

T

By the way, I've got a 1916 Spandau too...;)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I just purchased a 1916 Spanddau from a fellow who said he got it in the 1960's from a friend who brought it back from France. All the major parts match but some of the smaller ones like the barrel bands and one of the sight parts are mismatched. One part I question is the front guard screw. It has the three cutouts for the lock screw while the rear guide screw has only one and carries the last two digets of the serial number. I think the front screw is possibly a later replacement as I understand this is a post WWI type. Am I correct or could this have been replaced during WWI.

it's possible to have been a period action screw. Simson started using these screws in at least late 1917 , and erfurt kar98a's did so sometime in 1918.
I did have an armorer's three cut action screw that was imperial proofed I salvaged from a turked with gew98.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alamo and Billdildoe,

Thank you for the responses. It looks like the front screw may be a late WWI replacement. I will probable try to get the earlier screw but I find it almost impossible to find any military parts at the gunshows I attend so will have to try some parts dealers.

Alamo, I don't have a digital camera but am planning to get one and will repost with pictures when I get one. Your 1916 is very nice and the finish on yours appears to have less wear than mine. The action on mine is a pale gray and the barrel and other blued parts have turned to a darker gray. The wood is in very good shape and both the stock and handguard are matched to the gun. There are no import marks.

About two years ago I found a nice 1898/05 bayonet with scabbard and frog at a show and bought it in hopes of finding the rifle. The frog is nicely marked with the makers name and the date 1916. The rifle with its bayonet make a very impressive looking weapon.

Gunfun

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
it's possible to have been a period action screw. Simson started using these screws in at least late 1917 , and erfurt kar98a's did so sometime in 1918.
I did have an armorer's three cut action screw that was imperial proofed I salvaged from a turked with gew98.
I just returned from visiting a friend and going through his Mausers, among them was a 1918 Erfurt Kar 98. The action screws were number matching to the gun, and both were the (3) notch type.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just returned from visiting a friend and going through his Mausers, among them was a 1918 Erfurt Kar 98. The action screws were number matching to the gun, and both were the (3) notch type.

My 18 dated Erfurt also has the three notch screws. The 18 M/O I recently picked up has single notch (both matching). I think Storz says the three notch were approved for use in 1917, most of the 17 dated examples I've seen were single notch. Supplies on hand were used up no doubt before the changeover and varied from maker to maker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts