Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given a Gew 98 as a Christmas present by the owner of one of my favorite shops. It is a project gun and needs a lot of TLC. It is a Danzig 1904 with the roller coaster sights. It is missing the floor plate, magazine spring, and follower. I've ordered a milled floorplate from Numerich. It was described as being for the Gew 98 specifically. I was less clear about the spring - was it k98 - and would that fit? The follower was listed as being out of stock. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. This is my first German mauser and I've really enjoyed cleaning it up and reading about the history of the rifle. The info here has been great!

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
216 Posts
Boneman, just a word of caution. The Germans switched to the larger .323 bore diameter in 1905. Since your rifle was manufactured in 1904, it is possible that it has the old .318 bore unless it has been rebarreled. It would be a good idea to have it checked before shooting it.

· Registered
1,567 Posts
Boneman, just a word of caution. The Germans switched to the larger .323 bore diameter in 1905. Since your rifle was manufactured in 1904, it is possible that it has the old .318 bore unless it has been rebarreled. It would be a good idea to have it checked before shooting it.

Mike ; the change to S patrone occured in 1903 - very very early 1903. And as Farb notes if the barrel is 'S' marked it's S patrone compliant. With the gew88's there were teething problems with their development of the 88 patrone bullet and rifling. The gew98 suffered from none of that. The switch to the S patrone by 1903 simply was a chamber reamer for the neck and throat , nothing more excepting the new Lange Visier rear sight that went along with it. The gew98's with pre 1903 barrels did not have the "tight" .318" bores.

· Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the info Bill. I was just going by what my Sierra Reloading Handbook says. It states the change was made in 1905, however they may be fudging a little on the year for safety or liability reasons. Or maybe they just didn't do their homework. But, I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about the the Gew 98 since I'm more into The Swedish Mausers and the later WW II Mausers. Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.