Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put this question out to some close collector friends and would like to post here as well. The question is - in terms of collecting Imperial Gew98 and Kar98a (1898-1918) receiver variations (ie. manufacturer and side receiver inspection markings) I am curious about how many significant permutations exist? Manufacturers are pretty obvious. Add sterngewehr. However, the side inspection markings complicates things a bit. I realize that terms like "significant" are subjective. Have I not mentioned variations that I should consider? Just curious about this groups thoughts?

Scott

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CB - trying to determine the amount of variation among right side receiver inspection markings within manufacturers. Not seeking to collect G98's by year and code as I have K98k's. More of a minimalist approach. In G98's I have all the manufacturers but one, a sterngewehr, a couple KLM and a sniper. In 98a's all manufacturers but a decent Spandau. Just seeking a bit more detail to make an informed decision from while attempting to contol the disease.

Scott

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I find interesting is when rifles were assembled at depots or arsenals other than where they were made. The Hannover H Spandaus, the Oberndorf Spandaus, the Dresden Simsons, the DWM Obersprees in 1918, et. c. And there's the subcontracted receivers, like 1917 Spandaus from Siemans & Halske or Pieper in Liege. I'm sure there are more I just don't know and/or can't remember right now.
I agree completely! I have always collected reworks and depot assemblies but have not as I recall had the opportunity to ever purchase a G98 of this type. Perhaps due to my not recognizing the opportunity. The subcontracted receivers are another story. In any case, I appreciate your thoughts on this subject and it looks like the total minimum on this side of my collection will have to increase.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts