Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put this question out to some close collector friends and would like to post here as well. The question is - in terms of collecting Imperial Gew98 and Kar98a (1898-1918) receiver variations (ie. manufacturer and side receiver inspection markings) I am curious about how many significant permutations exist? Manufacturers are pretty obvious. Add sterngewehr. However, the side inspection markings complicates things a bit. I realize that terms like "significant" are subjective. Have I not mentioned variations that I should consider? Just curious about this groups thoughts?

Scott

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
I'm not sure what you are getting at. Right side receiver markings in the Imperial period are inspector stamps of one kind or another and left side markings are SNs with or without suffixes and model designations in either Fraktur or Roman font and specific pressure proofs. Other incidental receiver markings may be dates of manufacture/rehab (e.g., 1914, 1914/17 etc.) Are you suggesting attempting quantifying these combinations (good luck!) or simply listing them?

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CB - trying to determine the amount of variation among right side receiver inspection markings within manufacturers. Not seeking to collect G98's by year and code as I have K98k's. More of a minimalist approach. In G98's I have all the manufacturers but one, a sterngewehr, a couple KLM and a sniper. In 98a's all manufacturers but a decent Spandau. Just seeking a bit more detail to make an informed decision from while attempting to contol the disease.

Scott

·
Registered
671 Posts
What I find interesting is when rifles were assembled at depots or arsenals other than where they were made. The Hannover H Spandaus, the Oberndorf Spandaus, the Dresden Simsons, the DWM Obersprees in 1918, et. c. And there's the subcontracted receivers, like 1917 Spandaus from Siemans & Halske or Pieper in Liege. I'm sure there are more I just don't know and/or can't remember right now.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I find interesting is when rifles were assembled at depots or arsenals other than where they were made. The Hannover H Spandaus, the Oberndorf Spandaus, the Dresden Simsons, the DWM Obersprees in 1918, et. c. And there's the subcontracted receivers, like 1917 Spandaus from Siemans & Halske or Pieper in Liege. I'm sure there are more I just don't know and/or can't remember right now.
I agree completely! I have always collected reworks and depot assemblies but have not as I recall had the opportunity to ever purchase a G98 of this type. Perhaps due to my not recognizing the opportunity. The subcontracted receivers are another story. In any case, I appreciate your thoughts on this subject and it looks like the total minimum on this side of my collection will have to increase.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.