Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me about the Gew 91. It is not a 91 Arg. looks like a Kar88 commission carbine (I think). Can anyone post a picture or link so I can find out more? As you can tell I don't know much about Mauser type rifles. Any help much appreciated.

Wheeler44

·
Registered
562 Posts
Only difference from the Kar88 is the siderail marking, GEW 91 instead of KAR 88 and a stacking hook unde the muzzle. It's not really a Mauser type, closer to Mannlicher design. Here's mine:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Austin, that is a nice rifle.

Does anyone have anything else to add?

Are they common or scarce?

Why the nifty bolt handle?

Safe to shoot?

Collectable or not so much?

Anything?

Thanks,

Wheeler44

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Wheeler ; They are safe to shoot with most commercially available ammo , avoid using surplus in any gew88 mannlicher type - these are in no way mauser anything.
As for how common , well the gew91 is an exact copy of the karr with the addition of a stacking hook and siderail marking. This was a carbine principally "modified" for artillery troops , but bicyclist troops got gew91's as well.That being said it is far more common to find kar88's than gew91's. Less 91's were made and they were used fairly hard. More 91's got into the fray of the great war with artillery troops than kar88's may have with mounted troops.
So this little carbine if unsanded and matching is a desirable collector peice. Now once it's been pimp shined and or buffed metal .... collector value is small to none.
The flat type spoon bolt handle was what was used on the kar88 and gew91 as well as early versions of the kar98 , but died with them.

http://www.gk43forum.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1824

http://www.gk43forum.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1823

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes Billdildo, my Gew 91 was buffed and pimp shined, but I'm sure it was because it was an honor guard carbine, used for guarding the Kaiser himself !

Seriously though, I bought it despite it's condition because it was reasonably priced and was the only Gew 91 I have ever seen for sale. They are just not very easy to find.
A nice untouched ( which mine is not ! ) matching example would easily set one back 1K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts