Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many moons ago, when I was 12 yrs, dad got me this rifle for $19.99 from an add in NRA magazine, it came in the mail. It is a .323 JS, and was very accurate...........we killed deer with it for years. Dad never let me use Norma ammo.

Now, being older and wiser I'm concerned about safety. Will the rifle safely shoot a box of Remington 8mm Mauser? I want to hunt with the rifle one last time before giving it to my son. What should I look for as far as safety?
In the Swedish rifle forums you can see a pic of my moose that I got 2 weeks ago with a 1917 M96. Thanks.

Alaska

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Absolutely safe with Remington 8mm mauser, which is loaded light and a little undersize. Generally, that's the stuff recommended for Gew88s, even if they can (but everyone says shouldn't) handle more powerful ammo.

Basic safety is look for obvious damage and erosion to the firing pin channel from busted primers. But given the fit, finish, and quality of rifles from that era, chances are it's in good shape. They don't disintegrate all of a sudden. If it worked back then, it should still work just the same now.

Mine's a tack-driving and otherwise great rifle with the Remington stuff, and I'm gonna try to get a deer with it this fall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts