Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a Gew 88 carbine? at a local show today. Looks to be all matching and pretty nice. What is the price range for these? Any help appreciated.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
560 Posts

$450 To $750 They Are Mostly All Matching.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I might have it wrong. What is the difference between a GEW 88 carbine and a GEW 91 carbine? Can you post pics?

·
Administrator
11,975 Posts
Okay, I might have it wrong. What is the difference between a GEW 88 carbine and a GEW 91 carbine? Can you post pics?
There is no "Gew 88 Carbine". It is either a "gewehr" or a "karabiner", but not both. There is Gewehr 88, Karabiner 88 and Gewehr 91, which is a Kar 88 with a stacking hook.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Nick. Wrong vernacular. I don't know didly squat about this area of rifles. Im just trying to find out as much information on two firearms I've never seen before. One, which with your help and dg13's, I have been able to mark it as a Kar 88. Pretty neat looking piece. The second is a 1912 Norwegian Krag. If you have any help on that rifle too, I'd be appreciative.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
KAR 88 pics for Sean

If you need any more let me know my friend.

Full serial number on mag, barrel shroud, reciever, bolt handle and stock, two digit matching marked parts in at least 12 other places.

regards
badger

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Did I hear someone say "Norwegian Krag"????

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes you did. And I think its the 1912 model.

Are you interested? It looked pretty nice and in my limited knowledge, pretty original. I don't think the guy sold it, but I am sure I could get ahold of him and see. Are they particularly rare?

By the way, I would have known more information had I bought your book at the show. I've never been much of a guy for the Commission rifles, but man... That book looked like a wealth of information.

Regards,
Sean

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Sean:

No, I already have a Norski m/1912.

Thanks for the kind words RE my crude literary attempts. My fragile ego needs all the support it can get.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sean:

No, I already have a Norski m/1912.

Thanks for the kind words RE my crude literary attempts. My fragile ego needs all the support it can get.

I think its the updated one, not just the 1912 model. The band went all the way around the stock. From what I understand there were several modifications done to this model regarding the bayonet mounting system?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Yup, that's the one I have already.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sean was this at Maumee? I have yet to see a Kar 88 in any condition in person so I would say, pretty darn rare, at least around our neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sean was this at Maumee? I have yet to see a Kar 88 in any condition in person so I would say, pretty darn rare, at least around our neck of the woods.

Yep, at the maumee show. If you are looking for one, I can get you in touch with the guy who had it for sale. Im pretty sure that would be easy enough to do.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh I'd love to have one don't get me wrong- I just don't have any cash- it all went for a trapdoor some weeks ago at the Berea show. In fact I'm still in the hole and culling the collection to pay for it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts