Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have traditionally been collecting mainly 98 mausers, but the price of them have gone up considerably lately, and I have a hard time justifying $400-600-800 for these guns. So I have been thinking recently about picking up a Gew 88 before they too start demanding big prices. But I know almost nothing about them.

What should I look for as far as makers? Does the 88 need a bloc the way my M95 needs one? I have heard that the commercial 8mm ammo is a bit too hot for them, and I should use surplus only. Is this correct? Also, what is the difference between a true Gew88 and an 88/05? Is the only difference the modification to shoot the Spitzer round?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Plenty of information online and in books about the technical differences...etc between the variants, manufacturers...etc. I personally hand load for my gewehr 88 as the bore diameter is a bit too small for normal .323" bullets and the barrel is thin, not stepped as well.

You will see the difference between a 1905 modified Gewehr 88 and a Gewehr 88 that still requires the en-bloc clips. Suffice to say, the 1905 modified ones have done away with the need for the en-bloc clip and use the same charger clip as the Gewehr 98.

For the actual Spitzer round and it's differences, I would consult this thread as it is a hotly debated topic: Gewehr 88 bores sizes and ammunition.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plenty of information online and in books about the technical differences...etc between the variants, manufacturers...etc. I personally hand load for my gewehr 88 as the bore diameter is a bit too small for normal .323" bullets and the barrel is thin, not stepped as well.

You will see the difference between a 1905 modified Gewehr 88 and a Gewehr 88 that still requires the en-bloc clips. Suffice to say, the 1905 modified ones have done away with the need for the en-bloc clip and use the same charger clip as the Gewehr 98.

For the actual Spitzer round and it's differences, I would consult this thread as it is a hotly debated topic: Gewehr 88 bores sizes and ammunition.
I was thinkinging the 05s didn't need the en bloc, thanks for clearing that up. Thanks for the link too. Sounds like the ammo issue is subject to debate.

·
8,105 Posts
Read Mag's posts carefully, no need to debate at all, slug your barrel and find out what bullet is needed. For powder, use mild, starting loads and work your way up carefully. Debate over. :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read Mag's posts carefully, no need to debate at all, slug your barrel and find out what bullet is needed. For powder, use mild, starting loads and work your way up carefully. Debate over. :)
I don't reload. So how do I know what I'm getting?

·
8,105 Posts
Not sure what you mean when you say "So how do I know what I'm getting"? The responsibility to know what a particular rifle's bore diameter is lies with the person who owns it or wants to shoot it, no broad generalities can be made. You have to slug the barrel to find out what your rifle has. Almost without exception, the Gew88/05 came out of Turkey so it will likely have either a German barrel or a Turk replacement. German barrels will have a .321 barrel and Turk replacements will have .323. US Commercial ammunition will be fine in either case, European commercial MAY be a little hotter than you want to use. Military sS ammunition will be too much for it, save it for your Gew98.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I meant that how do I know what kind of load I'm getting if I'm not reloading my own? Commercial ammo usually tells you, but surplus, I thought, is iffy.

Thanks for the suggestion on slugging the barrel though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts