Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
tomb_lin
Gunboards Member

38 Posts
Posted - 09/16/2006 : 7:28:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 5 from OWS on the way and would like to make a shooter outta one...(after slugging & gauging)

Ive seem many references that its safe to shoot these with Remington ammo (standard SAAMI) but wouldnt Wolf or USA ammo be just as safe ??(and cheaper)

Cant really see spending $1 a shot or more for a $20 rifle...

MNguncollector
Gunboards Premium Member

116 Posts
Posted - 09/16/2006 : 8:55:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think any 8mm surplus ammo would be fine. Others disagree but many Gew 88's were used in the Turkish army and fired the same ammo as their Mausers.

marysdad
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
808 Posts
Posted - 09/16/2006 : 9:42:56 PM

I advocate using light loads in the M1888. Some folks shoot full-power stuff in the M1888, but I'm not one of them. The M1888 was designed for operating pressures of around 40,000 PSI. Military surplus or european commercial 8mm loads available today are for the 98 Mauser, which is designed for about 50,000 PSI. These M1888's are 100+ years old and to say that the OWS rifles have seen hard use is an understatement. It's a judgement call.

If you want to shoot factory ammo, one of the safer options is American made factory ammo (e.g., Winchester, Remington, etc.). They use a .321 dia. bullet and are loaded down to be safe in the M1888. Don't expect good accuracy, but they will go bang.

Another option is to get some military surplus 8 mm ammo and reduce the powder charge by 25 percent. My 8 mm handloads work out to about a 25 percent difference between what I load for the Mauser 98 rifles v. the M1888.

mag
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
964 Posts
Posted - 09/17/2006 : 12:53:42 AM

Untill you slug them you will not know what to try. Your rifles will be some of the S.A. imports and they will be found with several barrel types. Here are some of the types to look for: 1. Original early German with a .314 - .321 bore,,, they are hard to get to shoot well with anything, US ammo would be ok. 2. Original later German .311 - .321 ,,, Any med pressure handload with .321 dia Win special bullets or US ammo will do well. 3. Original last German barrel .311 - .323>5 ,,, any med pressure handload with .323 dai bullets is ok, US ammo is safe but not too accurate [ that barrel would be rare but they are out there as I got a S.A. import that was marked as having been rebarreled with the .323> BUT it had been rebarreled again with a Czech .318 , SO there could still be a rifle with one on it ]. 4. A Czech barreled rifle with a bore from .306 - .316 TO .308 - .318 AND a short throat . Those are hard to get good accuracy with, U.S. ammo is poor and too big, Any surplus .323 bullet is WAY to big for a .306 to .308 land dia no mater how light you load it AND it may not even chamber in a Czech barrel. None of the .318 dia bullets ever shot well for me in these, the only thing that work well was a handload with the Hornady .312 round nose bullet at low velocity and a fast powder. That load shot great, in the sub 2 inch range for 5-shot groups at 100 yards, But it is so underpowered it is not good for anything but putting holes in paper. If you get yours slugged out and find a good bore or two for shooters, post here for some load help if you would like to. mag

Kilroy was here
Gunboards Premium Member

191 Posts
Posted - 09/17/2006 : 01:25:31 AM

I got good shooting grade 88s from OWS. I think they are the way to go.

I've got a couple that slugged out at .316. I plan on loading them with a .319 lead round nose and blackpowder to start off with. I'll play around with my loads later on, but I have way to much blackpowder. I'm not looking for accuracy, just something to fire.

tomb_lin
Gunboards Member

38 Posts
Posted - 09/17/2006 : 01:31:46 AM

Thank you to all whom have replied...

Yes it all depends on the conditions-bore dia's etc...safety first

Ive got a stockpile of the 50-70'S Yugo & Turk stuff but wouldnt fire them in these (=) and wish I reloaded and could download some but...

Anyone know of a cheaper sources for American 8MM ? Or any Low pressure commericial and/or surplus ?

jth
Gunboards Super Premium Member

505 Posts
Posted - 09/28/2006 : 2:40:41 PM

Just DON,T shoot the turk ammo in it !! Even if it has an S marked bbl

GJD
Gunboards Super Premium Member

540 Posts
Posted - 10/06/2006 : 01:08:54 AM

What is the concensus on Romanian surplus. It is loaded pretty girly compared to other surplus and is steel cased, so there wouldn't be a high chance of case failure.

- GJD

JACK71
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1450 Posts
Posted - 10/15/2006 : 9:41:57 PM

jonk
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1743 Posts
Posted - 10/15/2006 : 10:32:07 PM

The JR is rimmed, not what you want for the 88; the JS is the regular 8mm in .323. Both are probably Sellier and Bellot as they are the only ones making the JR that I know of.

"The government, faced by an inability to succesfully prosecute criminals in protection of its citizens, has instead sought to criminalize its citizens and prosecute them."--Jonathan Klein, 4-20-7.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,538 Posts
"What is the concensus on Romanian surplus."

Just to add to this important topic. My understanding is that any military surplus 8mm (JS) is not recommended for an 1888, unless you are downloading the charge.

In the interest of personal safety and the preservation of my 1890 spandau, I will only shoot US rem-chester 8mm, after I've slugged the bore. Its a personal decision, but one made based on expertise and experience from guys that know far more about these than I do.

T

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well bore diameter is first consideration; if you have a Czech replacement barrel at .318 or even tighter, even US commercial ammo might be a bit hot. If you have a .321 barel it is a good choice.

I shoot mine with cast lead bullets of .323 diameter or Remington 185 gr bullets sized to 321 with 38 gr of 4064; ymmv.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have shot mine with 200 grn .318 Woodleigh roundnose and 150 grn Spitzer from Buffallo Arms. The 150 grn spitzer feeds much better. Mine slugged out at .318 so I don't use .321 bullets. I use 31 grns of IMR4064 with the 200 grn bullet and 32 grns of IMR 4064 with the 150grn bullet.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts