Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Looks like a nice Gew 88/05. A lot of the Turkish owned examples are pretty well matching, a few more than others. I just bought one for $150.00. Like yours, no creasant on the receiver. Mine is not as matching as yours. Only the action, barrel, barrel jacket, rear & front sights, and the forward action screw match. Mine has a Turkish Czech bolt. Your stock appears nicer too. My trigger guard was a force match in the same manner as yours, but for another serial number. I also have an original cleaning rod and an ejection port cover.

On the left side of the action, forward of the Gew 88 stamp, are there letters stamped there?

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Danzig rifles often have those letter stamps on the action, so far we have not found a meaning for the. My 1895 has an X, but there are a bunch that have been identified. The small "y" you mentioned is part of the actual serial number.

The exact meaning of the cartouches in the butt stock are a weak point for me, I am sorry to admit. They are Something like: Rifle ready for proof firing (1st), Rifle Proof fired, (2), Rifle after proof firing. Sorry I don't know more than that. The top one, at least for a Prussian rifle would be FW for Friedrich Wilhelm, the Prussian King & Kaiser.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.