Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first GEW 88/05. Don't know a lot about these so I am looking for opinions. What exactly do I have here and what kind of value do you think it has. All visible numbers match, except for the bolt. The trigger guard looks as if it was forced matched and the floor plate cover is dated 1914, the rear sight which is matching also does have cryllic numbers. (pic heavy).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Looks like a nice Gew 88/05. A lot of the Turkish owned examples are pretty well matching, a few more than others. I just bought one for $150.00. Like yours, no creasant on the receiver. Mine is not as matching as yours. Only the action, barrel, barrel jacket, rear & front sights, and the forward action screw match. Mine has a Turkish Czech bolt. Your stock appears nicer too. My trigger guard was a force match in the same manner as yours, but for another serial number. I also have an original cleaning rod and an ejection port cover.

On the left side of the action, forward of the Gew 88 stamp, are there letters stamped there?

·
Silver Bullet member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an X M or XK just to the left above the stock line and the small letter y beneath the serial number . Do you know what the markings are on the stock? thanks in advance Greg

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Danzig rifles often have those letter stamps on the action, so far we have not found a meaning for the. My 1895 has an X, but there are a bunch that have been identified. The small "y" you mentioned is part of the actual serial number.

The exact meaning of the cartouches in the butt stock are a weak point for me, I am sorry to admit. They are Something like: Rifle ready for proof firing (1st), Rifle Proof fired, (2), Rifle after proof firing. Sorry I don't know more than that. The top one, at least for a Prussian rifle would be FW for Friedrich Wilhelm, the Prussian King & Kaiser.

·
Silver Bullet member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wylie, this is definately an education for me,, this is my first 88 and I know nothing about them, just wanted one to mount an extra (lol) Sg71 I have without a scabbard and it looks like I might have gotten lucky. I have a repro sling I'll put on it. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to fire it. Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts