Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ran a search of THIS forum with the word GEVARM. Nada, zip, el blanco, NOTHING!!! Has no one but me ever even heard of these beauties? I KNOW there's at least a half dozen other Gevarm owners out there because I've seen them bought at online auctions, and heard from guys wanting to know if I will sell them my guns or my magazines for those guns.

Gevelot even had a distributor set-up in Canada for several years. Once our feds discovered how VERY easily certain Gevarm rifles could be converted to full-auto, the U.S. banned import of them! Up until then (sometime in the early '60s) you could buy a new one off the shelf at K-Mart for $49.95. An extra 8-rd, OR, a hi-cap 20-rd magazine was just ten bucks!

These days, certain .22rf Gevarms go for around $500! A 20-rd mag averages $175. Wish now I'd kept some of the dozen or so rifles I've owned in the past.

HERE'S THE BOTTOM LINE... Where are the Gevarms?

Evidently no one here on this French Firearms Board knows a thing about them! (?) This is a rifle that gun writers have constantly said was "ahead of its time." How many rifles do YOU know of that have only THREE moving parts in their action? NO firing pin? NO extractor or ejector? And, because the wedge milled into the face of the bolt acts as the "firing pin," each chambered round received "double ignition" - a strike on BOTH sides of the rim! How's THAT for "advanced engineering."

The several I've owned and shot over the years fed and fired EVERYTHING I stuck in the magazines. NEVER a misfire! ALL fed ANY BRAND of ammo smoothly from either size magazine. And, ALL were very accurate - as many a rat, tin can, squirrel, and paper target could testify IF they could only talk!

I'm always on the lookout for any .22rf semi-auto rifle made by Gevarm of France. My mainly WANTED item is the Model E1. None of their .22rf guns are MARKED with a model number. However, the E1 is REALLY EASY to identify: It has a large take-down bolt in the front end of the forestock; the action fires on the open bolt method; and the receiver is finished with a black krinkle-style paint. (Pictured below)

I would like to hear from others who own Gevarms. Are you out there? Tell us about YOUR Gevarm.

Best regards, and have a GREAT NEW YEAR! ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
Gevarm E1 (Common as dirt in Aussie)

Well, not any more...thousands were crushed in 1996-97 during the great gun confiscation...due to the Gun-phobia of our then-recently elected PM, JW Howard;--recently (Nov) suffering a crushing defeat, losing both Government and his own electoral district...what did the Chinese once say?>>> "sit on the bank of the river long enough, and the body of your enemy will come floating by..." A Lot of my shooting friend who lost semi autos and pump shotguns back in 96 rejoiced at JWH's Come-uppance.

Back to the Gevarm... a very nice takedown semi-auto, which would digest almost any .22 cal rimfire ammo ( except some of the grottier Russian steel-cased crap of the 60s and 70s)
Reliability of discharge due to the Solid, ridged firing "pin" machined into the Bolt face, which ensured that two spots on the rim were struck at once, ensuring discharge ( even if the priming compound was not evenly distributed around the rim, as happened with a lot of the poorer quality .22 ammo made in the 1950s-70s)

The Only failing was that (just like the aluminium AR-7 survival rifles) the receiver would sometimes crack from "firing Fatigue", allowing the barrel to fly off the body at the most in-opportune time.
And yes, they were liable to "Rock and roll" if the sears got worn (or fiddled with).

I have two in my Forensic Reference Collection, and they are a dream to use ( for scientific Purposes, mind you) in my laboratory underground range. Both are in Semi-Auto mode only...one day a case will come up with a "converted one", and so comparisons can be made.
As to manuals, either in French or English, I haven't seen any about here in Aus...maybe some of our French Colleagues may be able to help here...

Regards, and "Bon Annee"
Doc AV
AV Ballistics,
Brisbane, Australia.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More About Gevarms

Hi, Doc. Thanks for the back-up info. Yes, I know you guys suffered. I used to email with a lot of Aussies about these great guns, especially on the CanadianGunNutz forum.

Like I said, when I lived up there in the Great White North I bought and sold a bunch of them. Down here in the Lower 48 you'd think there'd be lots of 'em around. NOT SO! And the few who DO have them are keeping them!

I've shot a lot of them and never detected any cracked receivers. Of course I didn't shoot them a whole lot, just occasionally. Drilled and stuck a nail in one and it was unbelievable how fast that 20-rounder would empty. Very pretty with every fourth round a tracer.

In my photo files I've got pics of the Owner's Manual someone sent me, and have reproduced it very nicely just using my PC. An original sold on eBay about a year ago for around $50. I quit bidding when it hit $25.

In all the years since we moved back to the States I've only found one other AFFORDABLE Gevarm. A dealer saw my want ad and sold me a beautiful A7 for less than $200. Only problem is that it doesn't have the original rear sight, nor any front inserts in the well of the pistol grip. Someone scoped it and tossed that great rear sight. Know of any rear sights down under for sale? If so, PLEASE lemme' know.

I've got a picture of an E1 in its original box with all the papers. Don't remember where I ran across it. Check it out. I hope to hear from some more folks knowledgeable about these little guys. And, maybe with some luck I'll find some for sale along the WAY.

Best regards, ~ ~ ~ FFF

And here's a Canadian S.I.R. catalog from the '70s offering the Gevarms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
gevarm 22

hey i am having trouble with my gevarm 22 it is firring full auto, and i have already had some work done to it, and its still acting up, i was wondering if you have any internal pictures or diagrams of this gun so i can better understand how to fix this beauty. i have the e1 take down model i believe

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK,
Western Gunparts in Canada has "generic" magazines for all Gevarm rifles. They DO hold the bolt open on the last shot, I'm given to understand. Sorry but, they are 8 round and MAY require minor fitting to make them work with your particular gun. Sounds to me like a small file & a pair of pliers is about all you'd need. Don't over do it!
Ten round .22 caliber mags at the MOST we are allowed! The 20+ round mags are illegal in the "People's Democratic Republic of Kanuckistan" (AKA: Canada)! All other calibers are restricted to 5 round mags! Makes the Browning .50 cal a bitch to keep re-loaded! You might hurt something, I guess.
Here's the link.
http://www.westerngunparts.com/
Good people in Alberta! I've dealt with them myself!
Best
Cass_71

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! Been 3 years since I last posted here. Not a lot of change. Have added a beautiful little Model A3 to the collection. Already had the E1 and A7 so now I just need a nice A6 to complete the family of four offered for sale here in North America.

Here are pics of my A3. Luckily, it was in "like new" condition, all original, still had all its front sight inserts still in the storage well of the pistol grip butt, and was wearing a very nice Redfield 4X on Weaver tip-off mounts. Got it for a very respectible price, too.

1GEVARMA3WITHSCOPENVSN.jpg

GEVARMA3WITHSCOPE008_edited.jpg

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FloridaFialaFan

·
Gold Bullet member
1,575 Posts
I had one many years ago, converted to look like an MP40 machine pistol, complete with folding stock, I sold it on and some time afterwards it was designated an illegal weapon, as it was less than 65cm in length and confiscated by the UK government.
ukrifleman

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ukrifleman, the MP40 is one of my all-time favorite big-bore weapons. Owned a couple of German originals MANY moons ago . . . Wish I had 'em now. I'd sure like to see how the cosmetic conversion of your E1 was accomplished. Got any pics of it?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,575 Posts
ukrifleman, the MP40 is one of my all-time favorite big-bore weapons. Owned a couple of German originals MANY moons ago . . . Wish I had 'em now. I'd sure like to see how the cosmetic conversion of your E1 was accomplished. Got any pics of it?

Sorry no pics, it was a dead ringer for the real thing, about 2/3rds size, all woodwork removed, repro sights and stick mag. Unfortunately, it was semi-auto only, as full auto weapons of any kind have always been prohibiited in the UK.
ukrifleman

·
Registered
638 Posts
Here is what can I say about the different models of semi-automatic Gevarm carbines.

Type or model A1 :
Semi-automatic carbine
Calibre : .22 Short
Barrel length : 55 cm
Total length : 104 cm
Capacity : 5 cartridges (accessories : 10 and 15 shot mags)
Ejection port opened on the two sides
Simplified rear sight (vertically adjustable only), front sight without protection. « Smooth » (without checkering) one piece stock. « Slim barrel ».

Type or model A2 :
Semi-automatic carbine
Calibre : .22 LR and .22 Short
Capacity : 5 , 10 and or 15 cartridges mags for the 22 short, 5 or 8 cartridges mags for the .22 LR
Adjustable rear sight (vertically and horizontally), front sight under a round tunnel. One piece stock with checkering. Barrel with two different diameters : « slim » after the wood, « large » again at the front sight. Later replaced by the A3 for the .22 LR version.

Model A3 :
Semi-automatic carbine
Calibre : .22 LR
Capacity : 8 cartridges
Ejection port opened on the right side only
Adjustable rear sight (vertically and horizontally), front sight under a round tunnel. One piece stock with checkering. « Heavy barrel », same diameter from the receiver to the muzzle.

Model A4 :
Like the A2, but in .22 LR only, with some extra parts for safety on the left side. Later replaced by the A7.
Semi-automatic carbine
Adjustable rear sight (vertically and horizontally), front sight under a round tunnel. One piece stock with checkering. Barrel with two different diameters : « slim » after the wood, « large » again at the front sight.

Model A5 :
Semi-automatic carbine
Simplified rear sight (vertically adjustable only), front sight without protection. « Smooth » (without checkering) one piece stock. . « Heavy barrel », same diameter from the receiver to the muzzle. May be lack of butt plate.

Model A6 :
Exactly like the A5, if we except the ejection port, opened on the right side only for the A6. Always a butt plate.
Semi-automatic carbine
Ejection port opened on the right side
Simplified rear sight (vertically adjustable only), front sight without protection. « Smooth » (without checkering) one piece stock. . « Heavy barrel », same diameter from the receiver to the muzzle.

Model A7 :
Originally like the models A3, but with an adjustable trigger, safety on the left side.
Semi-automatic carbine
Has existed in two versions, ejection port on the two sides or on the right side only.
Adjustable rear sight (vertically and horizontally), front sight under a round tunnel. One piece stock with checkering. « Heavy barrel », same diameter from the receiver to the muzzle (most visible difference with the A4.

Model A9 :
US M1 look alike (if you see it from very far)
Semi-automatic carbine
Barrel length : 46 cm
Total length : 95 cm
Mecanically identical to the other « A » carbines. Upper handguard. Two positions rear sight. Front sight protected by « ears ».

Model E1 :
Semi-automatic carbine
Barrel length : 49 cm
Total length : 100 cm
Capacity : 8 or 20 cartridges
Two parts stock (walnut). Two variations : Standard, with a simplified rear sight, un protected front sight, « smooth » wood without checkering ; Luxe, with an horizontally adjustable rear sight, front sight under tunnel, wood with checkering. Grip pistol stock.

Model E2 :
Same as E1, but beechwood instead of walnut and straight grip stock.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have 1 in 22 short, new in the box. I am not sure what model number. It does have the screw cap in the pistol grip. I have never opened up to see if the inserts are there.
Thanks
David

After looking at the above descriptions mine must be an A2.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
I fired a couple of these back in the early to mid 1960s. I think that they had some kind of sear or disconnector problem.........
A LOT of fun to sho-o-o-o-ot though..............

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alamas, that's a fantastic batch of Gevarm info you've listed there. Were ALL of these you've mentioned ever advertised to, or offered for sale to the North American market? The only sales pieces I've seen offered by the Gevarm Canada offices listed ONLY the E1, A3, A6 and A7. Those are also the only ones I've seen ads for in other publications.

What was your source of information? I've had comments from Gevarm owners talking about guns that obviously were NOT made for the NA market, that I had never heard of. Most recent was a Gevarm marked as 22 SHORTS ONLY. The owner mentioned it had an offset stock, and its magazines were much smaller than the normal 8- and 20-rd magazines I was used to dealing with. Also, do you have a time line for the beginning of the Gevarm .22s, and a final date of production?

I also have a question regarding specifically the model A3. Every one of these I've seen do NOT have a buttplate. However, all have had holes drilled in the butt as if the maker had INTENDED to place a buttplate on the rifle. The holes were then so beautifully filled in that they could easily be overlooked. I'm sure I read SOMEWHERE that the A3 was without a buttplate. Can you verify that for me?

Again, thank you very much for all that great info. THUMBUPSMILIE.gif

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 1 in 22 short, new in the box. I am not sure what model number. It does have the screw cap in the pistol grip. I have never opened up to see if the inserts are there.
Thanks
David

After looking at the above descriptions mine must be an A2.
G43 Collector, that is one I don't have and am wondering if you'd ever consider selling it. Please let me know at your convenience. Thanks in advance.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

·
Registered
638 Posts
Florida Fiala Fan : I don't know which ones have been sold in northern america. About my sources : quite simple, catalogs from Gevarm that I believe to be, due to the phone numbers printed on these, from the 60's to the 80's (90's?). I know a place somewhere in south of france where they sell incredible old documents about everything. Since I seem to be the only person there to be interested by documents about firearms... Hard to give dates since the catalogs don't have dates. I believe that Gevarm, like most of the french makers of firearms, have been killed by the law of 1995.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw the postings here on The Gevarm, thought I would show the little toy we have. Incredible woodgrain and striping opposite the original french maple grain.
I absolutely love target shooting with this rifle, it's a gem indeed. Never a missfire. Also, not banned in Canada for any reason I know of, otherwise we would have been busted time and time again by our local CO's while out target shooting/hunting.
cass_71, you should read Bill C-80 regarding magazine sizes. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/pol-leg/pdf/c80-eng.pdf
Untitled.jpg IMG_0986.jpg IMG_0988.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg Gevarm 1962.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi... i'm new to this board... i am no where near being a gun or rifle expert. i know a rifle/gun when i see one... but that is about it. when my dad died 3 yrs ago i inherited a gevarm .22 carbine ... i recently purchased 2 magazines for it. now my question is how do i tell what model it is? i read above on one of the posts that if it's an E1 it will normally say that and if it doesn't it's one of the others. this one does not say E1 so i'm assuming it's one of the others... any idea how i find out which it is? it looks very much like the one you have in the picture above whichever model that is... but then they could all look very similar for all i know.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts